Chapter 142

Half an incense stick’s time later, Ling Ji looked at Meng Qi, completely bewildered.

Meng Qi loosened her grip, letting the thin longsword float beside her. She looked composed, calm, and not the least bit perturbed. Everyone had different talents, and it just happened that she had no hope of becoming a master swordsman. “How about it?” Meng Qi tilted her head slightly, leisurely enough to crack a joke, “Was my talent in swordsmanship astonishing to you?”

“Um… cough, cough…” When Ling Ji faced Yan Shunbei in Jingyuetian, he had the demeanor of a lofty powerhouse, profound and unfathomable. Now, however, he seemed much more relaxed: “The sword, you held it quite steadily.” He commented, “And you have an excellent memory, you remembered the sword technique after being taught once…”

Except that she just couldn’t execute it, that’s it.

“Hmm…” After thinking for a bit, Ling Ji earnestly added, “The most important point is your mindset, calm and composed. Cultivators need such a temperament; you sure will have a limitless future.”

Meng Qi couldn’t help but laugh softly: “Thank you for your efforts, Sect Leader Ling.” Everyone likes to hear praise, and she was no different. To be honest, when she was in the Apricot Forest barrier, Ji Wujiong’s undisguised astonishment and determination to take her as a disciple made her a bit happy.

Now, seeing someone as formidable as Ling Ji trying so hard to find something to praise about her was rather amusing. But liking praise is one thing; knowing one’s strengths and weaknesses is what’s most important.

“You’re welcome,” Ling Ji murmured, gazing at Meng Qi. The girl, while not stunningly beautiful, had an elegant look combined with a calm demeanor that was quite pleasing to the eyes.

“If Sect Leader Ling has nothing else, I should take my leave,” Meng Qi said, bowing to Ling Ji before turning to leave.

“Wait,” Ling Ji quickly called out to her. Just a few moments before, he had boasted how Meng Qi would soon know what her true talent was and why he sought her out. The way things had developed, unfortunately, was completely different from what he had imagined, and for a moment, he was left befuddled.

Meng Qi stopped and turned around, looking curiously at the older man.

“You…” Ling Ji hesitated for a moment, “Aren’t you curious why I came to find you?”

“Um…” Meng Qi felt somewhat helpless. Why did both people she met today like to talk in riddles? Couldn’t they just go to the point?

“A little,” she honestly replied, “I know Duankong Sect has been looking for me, but I assume Sect Leader Ling, having agreed to the bet with Sect Leader Yan, wouldn’t take action against me before I enter Ten Absolutes Mountain.”

“You’re correct,” Ling Ji nodded. He fell silent for a moment, then said, “I wasn’t originally the sect leader of Duankong Sect; it’s only recently I took the seat.”

“…” Meng Qi didn’t respond, and just quietly waited for Ling Ji’s next words.

“In the past…” Ling Ji paused again, then continued after a moment of silence, “I used to think that being free and unrestrained was quite nice.” His hand hanging by his side slowly clenched into a fist, and when he met Meng Qi’s clear gaze, he suddenly sighed lightly. “Well…” Ling Ji waved his hand, “Let’s save the rest after you return from Ten Absolutes Mountain.”