Chapter 2 - Path

Waking up from his sleep, Gill sorted out his thoughts once again before making his way towards the open cabinet and tried to open the locked drawers forcefully.

Clack! Clack! Clack! Clack!

As he was forcefully trying to open it, dust and particles of wood fell off from the cabinet.

"..."

After confirming it's durability, he walked towards the basement like trapdoor.

Clack! Clang! Clack! Clang!

"..It doesn't seem to be as fragile as the cabinet."

He inspected his clothes and what little furnitures the house had to try and gain anything useful. He eventually finished and made his way towards the door.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Creaaaaak...!

Heading outside, Gill was met with refreshing air and warm sunlight that matches the characteristics of a healthy environment, down the path, the tall trees  that partly blocked the sunlight and some lushy but not messy bushes and grass between the perfectly spaced trees which removed the sense of crampedness in the forest made it look like a cover of a meditating music. The freshly cut grass like smell,  made Gill feel like he was experiencing the essence of nature for the first time in a long time.

Looking at the path to the town and the walls from far away which emphasized the current situation Gill was in, he strangely didn't feel sad or extreme nervousness. Gill wasn't particularly attached to his old world, after all he didn't have relatives and didn't have anyone that he was really close to, he experienced many unexpected things throughout his 22 years of life he didn't finish school but was still able to become an assistant of a famous detective, it was thanks to his adaptability and cautiousness to everything that came his way, although none of them could be compared to what he is experiencing right now, it still played a part in stabilizing his emotional state.

He sighed and made his way down the path, towards the town.

***

Near the gates, Gill saw two people wearing blue long sleeves polo and brown vest, with a gun on their waists inside a brown leather holster, thay didn't wear any heavy armor or sword unlike how it was depicted in medieval stories.

"ID?"

The guard spoke, Gill already found his police ID from the drawer beneath the table, which he used to double checked wether his memories were correct, he gave it to the guard in which the guard took and checked the credibility of the ID using a weird device with a thin glass in front of it silently, before letting him in.

"A police.. it's verified you may go in"

Gill slightly nodded before heading inside.

Tack! Tack! Tack! Tack! Tack! Tack!

The galloping horses of at least 3 Carriages and footsteps of people trying to sell their products immediately entered Gill's ears.

"A kilogram of carrots for oly 8 Wass!"

"A bottle of spices from the south for only 10 Wass!"

"...?"

They were using unfamiliar words to communicate, or to be exact a whole different language, though strangely enough Gill perfectly understood what they we're saying.

He took a deep breath and exhaled before continuing on to find his house. Observing the sorroundings along the way he concluded that the place looked nothing like most of the reincarnation novels where everything is colorful, clean, and lively. A majority of the place had dirty puddles and worn out 3 story wooden buildings which is likely used for rent, the place got better the farther he is from the walls. Shaking his head he continued on, eventually he found a suitable man wearing a  to ask a question.

"Good morning sir, do you know where Xbel street is?"

The man furrowed his brows before replying.

"Go straight, then turn left the moment you see one"

"Thank you"

Gill thanked the man and walked away, not long after, a vendor shouted for him for business.

"Young man, want a cup of warm coffee?"

The vendor said with a smile.

"It's only 5 Wass"

I don't really feel thirsty, but i'm quite curious about the taste of coffee here. I already understand the currency of this world and the owner of this body wasn't really poor. Taking out my wallet from my right pocket i took out a Fask and gave it to the vendor.

"Here"

The vendor took the paper money with a smile and gave the 15 Wass change and cup of coffee.

"Thanks for the business!"

I nodded and continued on before taking a sip of the coffee.

"...Its not tasty.."

***

A 2 story house with clean walls and a lively plant box with greeny plants and colorful flowers entered my sight it bore extreme familiarity to me, it was my house.

"How much salary do police get here?"

Shaking my head, i took out a key from my pocket and hoped its the right key.

Click.

The door unlocked and opened. Inside, a small pathway that lead to the living room and a thin table by the side with pictures of people wearing police unforms immediately greeted my sight. Walking to the living room, I caught whiff of a strange metallic scent coming from upstairs.

"..?"

Ignoring the smell, I continued walking to the living room. A gray colored couch, a clean wooden table in the middle with flowers on a vase and a glass with ice, a painting of the plains was in the living room.

"..."

Gill immediately became alert, the ice should've been melted if he was the only one that lived here, he didn't panicked but first came closer to the glass and touched the ice. It wasn't cold, it was a white crystal.

"But why is there a crystal here? ..No, in the first place is this really a crystal?"

Gill looked back at the stairs leading to the 2nd floor that gave off the metallic smell, he walked towards the stairs and climbed up, opening the door to the room, the metallic smell became clear, a horrifying scene presented itself to Gill, a mutilated body of a man that looked familiar to Gill covered in dried blood was lying in the floor beside a white bed full of bloodstains. Hanging pictures in the wall, broken glasses on the floor and a well preserved body of mutilated man, it looked like a picture from a detective game.

---------------------------------------------------------

*Currency*

Wass = 1
Fask = 20 Wass
Blask = 10 Fask
Laskel = 5 Bask
Nesle = 10 Bask
Glasp = 100 Bask