Epilogue

It's been a month since the marriage of General and Mosquito man and it was just now Guang found himself settling into a routine without problems. He closed his eyes and pressed his fingers together before he exclaimed at the sound of rustling behind him.

"How many times have I told you to stop tip-toeing around the palace like this? Why don't you ever knock like a normal human?"

From the crisscrossing shadows of darkness came the figure of the man the Emperor didn't want to see right now. He sauntered to the couch he was reclined on and drank the rice wine from the dish bowl the Emperor he had poured for himself.

Once he finished, he burst out laughing.

"Arrest this lowly being and take him into the personal interrogation room of the palace!" The assassin mimicked the Emperor and said, "Just say you want to talk to me in your chambers."

"Well, I could not help it could I?" Guang poured himself a bowl of drink, "Not when you grabbed my hair that strong for somebody who was acting."

"Petty old man," The Assassin snickered.

"Language, boy," Guang said, eyeing the cup, "I am your emperor. Do not forget your place. Anyway, that message was a month ago. Why are you here now?"

"Right, right? I was feeling bored at my workplace earlier. It's hard having to take on an alias to be somebody else," the assassin seated himself down and yawned, "You sent me away from my happy, no-blood-shed life for over 7 days of jail life with that mosquito guy and asked me to persuade him into breaking up the marriage you set up. So... your plan's a success, I take it?"

"Pretty much," Guang smiled triumphantly. "The image I wanted to create to the Silver Mountaineers as the 'Emperor who was threatened by both his General and the Silver Mountain people' was safely accomplished. People sing my praises everywhere and even Silver Mountaineers who were unwilling to accept me as their divine authority have now come to pity and admire my disposition as a benevolent ruler."

"And guess that mosquito guy becoming a Blazing Sunner came in handy to you?"

"Absolutely," He smiled again, "Most of the people followed his footsteps and opened themselves to the possibility of becoming part of Blazing Sun. I heard the civilian registration bureau was quite busy these days... All good news. Even those that despise Fu Lin for abandoning his country can't come to despise the Emperor who forgave his atrocities."

"Wow..." the assassin snatched his cup from him. "A real piece of cow dung." "Can't survive the world without a bit of dirt on your hands."

"That's a lot of dirt though."

"I don't want to hear that from a man who kills for money," Emperor Guang scoffed disdainfully. "Besides it's not my fault that people can't be honest about their feelings. It's the same with the General's and his lover's case... if they were honest with each other, things could have ended with him not losing his title."

"Bullshit," the assassin laughed. "You think I don't know you made him say that crap about killing you? You wanted to hear him say it."

"I absolutely did not," Guang looked away, frowning.

"It seems they're not the only ones who couldn't be honest about their feelings," the assassin sneered, his eyes twinkling, "You give me political reason after reason as to why you let General Haoran go, time and again after he betrayed you. You could have easily wiped him off if you wanted to, after he proclaimed he'd kill you. But you didn't."

"...that's because he's a valuable asset," Guang said unflinchingly.

"Pathetic," the assassin said. "Go tell those fairy tales to somebody else. You went out of your way to arrange a marriage that'll push the General to be with the one he liked and planted me as a catalyst to drive that slow mosquito to come get his man. You can deny it all you want, but you do care for the General."

Emperor Guang remained silent, neither refuting nor acknowledging the claims. He then closed his eyes. "It is what it is..."

"What I don't understand is...," the assassin continued, "If you care for him so much, why did you put him through all that hardship?"

"Because I couldn't care for him at the expense of my duty," Guang's eyes became unreadable. "Because I too will then have to choose between being a father figure to him and being an emperor. Not much of a choice, right?"

"So, you'd do the same thing again if you could redo everything?"

"Indeed," His voice was decisive. "I may have let him go on account of the paternal affections I hold for him, but I wouldn't hesitate to use him for my gains. The marriage set up and everything else on it was also for him to get back on his knees before me so that I could rescind his position. Haoran was too formidable a power to be left alone... and yes I'd not hesitate to call him back to position if his military power is necessary for the Empire or at a time of sudden warfare."

"This wouldn't last long," the assassin glowered at Guang, "You know it too. People would want him to become Imperial General again."

"Of course they will," Guang laughed. "And then I'll give it to him." "I knew it!" cried the assassin. "You're too soft on him!"

"Maybe I am..." Guang drifted off to sleep, "...Maybe I should try being honest for once too."

"Also that lady who was abandoned at the marriage altar?" asked the assassin, "She must have been hurt, poor thing... Can I go console her?"

"She's happily married now," Guang cracked a smile. "And she knew of the entire plan beforehand. She knew it wouldn't happen- the marriage."

"Huh, what a waste! She was pretty too..."

As darkness consumed, the assassin disappeared just the way he came. But not before kicking the old man awake.

End of Epilogue. 

▪──── ⚔ ────▪

And that's a wrap! Thank you for reading this silly little story of mine ╰(*'︶'*)╯♡ While I know it might not be the most perfect book out there, I hope my words brought a smile or a tear or two that made your day just a bit bearable. Life is tough, so if you found my book a fun read in midst of it, then that's all that matters. 

I hope I managed to satisfy the majority with the ending  (っ ᵔ◡ᵔ)っ This is the end of the main story and I have no plans for side stories in the near future because I'm focused on some upcoming new projects! But I might indulge in some side stories if I find out my readers would like some.

So, leave your review of the story and book as you feel it. I love reading your comments! They're honestly part of the reason why I even took up writing so type out what you think. So smash 'em keyboard lovelies (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Now I'm onto updating my second novel, "A Royal Pain" that's been neglected for months here on Wattpad. If you like enemies to lovers in a contemporary college setting, you might want to check it out. It's a commoner x royal trope and and has a bit of a tonal shift from The Enemy's Husband, since it is a modern day story; essentially it's a lot sillier and comical than this book lmfao. 

Don't forget to vote and comment your final thoughts! 

Until next time, 

Koto22.