Chapter Sixteen

Unexpected Deliverance

A dreamless sleep should have been a blessing. Unfortunately, Alex had woken up after a few short hours and her mind would not let her fall back asleep. After tossing back and forth, for what seemed like an eternity, she gave up and decided not to let the day go to waste. Adaro was not going to just sit around and wait for her to defeat him.

Splashing cold water on her face, she felt her muddled senses clear and she became more alert. She filled the rest of the basin and soaked a cloth, washing over the important parts. Finished, she picked up the small bowl to toss the water out and was startled when she saw an image flicker across the top of it.

Placing it back down on the stand, she sighed. Glad that she had not dropped it, she leaned over it hesitantly, afraid of what it might show. She stood there perplexed. There was nothing. Only a few ripples showed that there had been any disturbance. Shaking it off, she dressed quickly and set out to find Fello. Sometimes weird things happened. It did not always mean there was a force of evil out to get her she reminded herself.

It didn't take long for her to spot Fello. He was sharing a bowl of berries with a young boy when she approached him. They greeted each other warmly. The little boy grabbed the rest of the berries and left them sitting outside a small shop.

"Would you happen to be busy today?" Alex asked.

"Alta has cleared my schedule to assist the three of you in any way that I can." Fello explained.

Smiling she replied, "Great! I need your help with something."

He looked at her expectantly, she was about to show him the book and then became aware of the bustling village around them.

"Is there somewhere a little more private we could go?" She asked hopefully.

Smiling he motioned for her to follow him. He stopped a few times on the way, grabbing a large basket and shoving a few things in to it, and then he picked up the pace. It wasn't difficult to keep up with him, but she noticed how far they were from the city and wondered aloud where they were going.

"Almost there." He said.

They stopped at a large clearing. It was beautiful, full of golden grass and wildflowers. A large willow tree sat alone in the middle of the field. They made their way to it and spread a blanket on the ground.

"Private enough?" Fello asked amused.

"I'd say so." She laughed, then added, "Are we still protected here?"

He nodded, "Yes, I would never take you outside of the city's enchantments."

Relief settled over her. She pulled out the battered book and laid it in front of him. His reaction was difficult to judge, he looked a bit angry, but mostly surprised.

"You shouldn't have taken this from the Great Hall." He said bluntly.

"It wasn't intentional. I did not even realize I still had it, until I had already gotten to my room. This is very important. I need to know what it says." She explained.

He hung his head in his hands for a while and she was afraid that he was going to refuse.

"The incubus in the tale is no longer alive. I don't see why it is of any importance now." He stated.

"He may be dead, but his child is very much alive, and he has decided that he wants me. For whatever reason, and I do not know how to fight him. I didn't even know it was possible for an incubus to procreate. How do you fight something so magical, half elf half incubus?" She knew she sounded as desperate as she felt.