Chapter Twenty Seven

Win Some, Lose Many

Ryhan

"Stop!" She yelled again.

Finally, Gavin let go of her arm and paused. He looked into her eyes and for a moment, she melted the way she had when they first met.

"We are almost there, we need to keep going." He said to her gently.

"Where are we going? You haven't told me anything and you expect me to just follow you?" Ryhan asked angrily.

Gavin sighed impatiently. "You have no idea about anything Ryhan. You've been lied to, about so many things. I'm taking you to someone who can help you see the truth."

He took her arm again and she allowed him to lead her.

"Who is it you are taking me to?" She asked.

"Axiom." Gavin said.

Jerking her arm from his grasp, she put as much space between them as she could. "Axiom? You can't be serious?"

He moved toward her and she backed away again.

"You aren't scared of me are you?" Gavin asked sadly.

"I don't know what to think. Is that really where you have been all this time?" She asked.

It was nearly impossible to keep her cool. When he had announced that they were under attack, she had tried to convince herself that she had not heard him correctly. That her mind was playing tricks on her. It had become clear to her it was true, but she did not understand why. When he had spoken about Axiom before, she could feel the hate Gavin had for him and what he had done to their land.

"I told you, they have things twisted." He yelled pointing in the direction of the stronghold.

"You are the one that's twisted, I see that now." Ryhan screamed with tears in her eyes.

Gavin reached for her and took her face in his hands. "I would never hurt you, never. Please just come with me, give him a chance to explain his side of things."

"Do you really think he would spare me just because you claim to love me?" She asked.

"He won't hurt you, I wouldn't let him. I'd protect you with my life." Gavin said.

"And he'd kill me before you had the chance to sacrifice it." Ryhan spat.

Gavin stepped back and looked her up and down. "Do you have no trust left in your heart for me?"

"Not if you can't tell me more than what you've told me." Ryhan said.

"I can take you by force you know." Gavin said angrily.

She scoffed. "You could try."

He took a step towards her and she stepped back as her body lit ablaze. Stepping toward her again, she went to step back and hit rock. He had her cornered, but it did not matter. If he touched her, he would burn. If he was scared of the flames, he did not let on.

Reaching out he grabbed her face again. She closed her eyes and waited for him to start screaming. No screams came. He wasn't burning. When she opened her eyes, he was smiling at her. A tiny wave of relief washed over her. She might not trust him, but she still loved him and she was not sure if she could let anything bad happen to him. Instinctively she leaned into his hand and released the flames.

She whispered. "This isn't fair. You were supposed to come back to me."

"I did. I came back FOR you. To help you. Why can't you believe that?" Gavin pleaded.