nine

After the release of Gilbert Grape, Leo was nominated for an Academy Award. He became very busy and untrustworthy. He could have any girl he wanted, and he began flirting a lot. At the premier, he flirted with every girl he saw whilst I was beside him, and when I asked him about it he made out like I was just paranoid. In the eyes of the camera, he was a charming young man who'd settled down and refused to let fame get to him. But I dealt with it. I dealt with it because I loved him. Hypocrisy at it's finest. I was mad at him for keeping secrets from me, and here I was with a life changing secret I was keeping from him.

Leo had been out for a meeting today about a possible new movie. He was taking me to dinner tonight, and I was looking forward to it because we hadn't had alone time for a while. In an hour, he'd be back to pick me up. I put on a new dress that I'd bought with my own money and put my hair in loose curls. I was about to ring Leo when the phone rang.

"Hey, hey it's Leo. I can't go to dinner tonig-" He mumbled something and I swear I heard another voice. "Tonight. This new movie sounds g-good. Gonna.... Be ba-back tomorrow morning."

"Fuck you." I hissed as I hung up the phone. The way he stammered, the way I heard another voice? I wasn't stupid. Changing into a sweater that went down to my knees, I clipped my hair up and smashed the phone against the mirror. As it shattered, bits of glass cutting me, I didn't do the whole dramatically staring into the mirror thing, I automatically started smashing things up. Vases, photos, glasses, plates, antiques, the more expensive the better. Subconsciously, my hand reached to my stomach as I rubbed my hand on it in a comforting manner.

Then I fell asleep on the sofa, curled up in a small ball. If it wasn't for the mess around me and the black make up running down my face, I would've looked like a sweet, innocent girlfriend. 

"What the fuck!?" Someone yelled, waking me up. I looked up to see Leo, holding his keys in one hand and a bag of food in the other. I thought I'd only slept a few minutes, but it must've been more. The clock read 2am.

"No!" I yelled, "Who the fuck, Leo! Who the fuck have you been cheating on me with?"

"What?" He asked, looking genuinely confused. "Becky, I haven't cheated on you with anyone, I wouldn't!"

"Before this turns into yelling and neither of us make sense can we just talk properly?" I asked. He sighed and sat down. "We're 18, Leo. And we're already settling down. It's not gonna work, and I think we both knew that from the start."

"No. I'm not giving up that easy. Becky, I know I've been different these past few weeks but it's just crazy! I've been nominated for an academy award, getting involved with a movie that sounds pretty big. And I know it's early but you hardly ever sleep a full night so I brought you food and I was gonna talk through some stuff with you."

"Like what?" I looked over at him. He took my hands in his, keeping them warm.

"I was thinking... Maybe about getting married. Maybe being engaged for a few years before the full thing?" He looked at me and I just stared. I didn't say anything. I couldn't say anything. "Becky?"

"Leo..." I had to say something before I broke down. If I left it any longer I would cry until I lost my voice, and I wouldn't be able to get the secret out for weeks. "I'm pregnant."