Her Eyes

"I kept my head down as I approached the servant, meeting him halfway.

'I'm here to show you to your room.'

I recognized the voice and tried to hold back a groan. It was the servant from earlier, Caelum was what Rosetta had called him. 'Thank you.' I decided the option of simply ignoring how rude he had been earlier.

I suppose he recognized how I averted eye contact with him. 'I'm sorry about earlier. I just...' Caelum sighed as he turned on his heels, crossing his arms across his chest. 'Rosetta and I have grown up together. It'll be hard to see her go.' His eyes avoided mine as well.

The frustration I had felt when I first saw him began to evaporate. I walked alongside him with my hands still stuffed in my pockets. 'My apologies.'

'What is your home like?' He asked without turning his gaze towards me. 'What are the people like?'

His sudden interest in me brought on confusion. Nonetheless, I answered his questions. At the very least it would make the journey quicker. 'It's nice. I've spent my entire life there. I'd say it's very similar to Invea. The people, however, are different.' I hadn't planned on explaining, not wanting him to report to Henry of my true intentions, but as he shot me a concerned glance I began to explain. 'The behavior of your king, Henry, is quite different. He wouldn't even let Rosetta stay in the study with us when we discussed the marriage.' I wondered if he would catch my hint.

'Yes. It is forbidden for a woman to be part of meetings.' Caelum's eyes refocused back on the stairs as we started to walk down them.

'In Transylvania, if anyone refused a woman her right to attend a meeting they would be killed on sight by the women themselves.' I smiled at the thought, recalling it nearly happening on several occasions for traveling generals. A world where women were valued less than men didn't make sense to me. I felt thankful that I had never been exposed to that world until now.

'Oh?' Once again, I earned a glance from him. 'Your women are treated with respect?'

'Yes.'

'They are kept safe?'

'They keep themselves safe most of the time, but yes.'

'They are cared for?' Caelum turned left once we were off the stairs, leading me through a hallway that was larger than the last one. The doors were nearly double the ones upstairs and each was decorated with gems of many colors.

I wasn't sure what he was getting at, but I kept answering him. For whatever reason he needed to know, I would make sure the truth was present. 'Absolutely, as is everyone back home.'

'So, Rosetta will be okay?' He stopped in front of the second door in the hallway, turning sharp to face me. For the first time since earlier, our gazes were locked. His eyes were glossy, tears brimming on the edges.

All at once, I understood. He had mentioned earlier that he had grown up with Rosetta, and all the defenses he had put up around me now made sense. He loved her. He loved the woman I had just met, the woman I was going to take away forever; the woman I was going to marry. I didn't know their story nor if his feelings were returned by her. I couldn't take pride in stealing her from him, but I could take pride in giving him some relief. 'Our women are their own people in Transylvania. They are protected, loved, and looked after. Any hand laid against them, or any man or child, is reasonable cause for a lifetime in prison.' It felt strange talking against my soon to be father-in-law, but I wanted Caelum to truly know. 'No matter their status, not even the status of king.' I had lowered my voice, allowing a smile to come upon my face.

'You know?' His eyes widened as his head drew back in surprise. Caelum quickly glanced around, ensuring there was no one else nearby. 'You must protect her, I beg of you. I have spent our entire lives doing what I could to keep her from his arm but it's never enough. Take her as far away from here as you can once you two are wed.'