Her Love

"There was only a few minutes between my arrival and Rosetta's.

Chatter filled the room while the guests waited, and as I scanned my eyes through them, I couldn't help but wonder how many knew about Henry's intentions. I wondered how many of them faced the same daily threats that Rosetta had.

Few came down the aisle before she did, all quietly positioning themselves where they were expected to stand for the entire event. I knew none of them. As I looked around the room once more, I was able to lock eyes with Caelum.

He stood in the back of the room, leaning against the walls with his arms crossed. His jaw was tightly clenched together and his fingers tapped against his skin impatiently. Despite his movements that spoke of frustration, his eyes wore relief.

Finally, it was Rosetta's turn. As I had decided, she walked alone.

As the doors opened one last time to let her pass, an audible gasp sounded through the people watching as Rosetta stepped forward. Whether it was in awe or in horror of how simple she was dressed, I couldn't tell. I felt proud for her. Not only was she leaving her home for mine, but she was defying the laws of her kingdom in her wake. She was reclaiming her life.

She was like a diamond among pebbles compared to all those who had walked out in front of her and all those unfamiliar faces sitting as our audience. Unlike the others who had looked frightened, Rosetta was smiling. Her eyes only rested upon me, refusing to look in any other direction but my own.

When she reached the bottom of the steps of the platform I stood upon beside the altar, I reached out and gently took her hand into mine, helping her up the stairs as any good gentleman might. I closed my fingers around hers, giving them a gentle squeeze.

The organ slowed to a stop, and the Priest dressed in white, silver, and gold, smiled at Rosetta and I as we both turned to face him.

'We are gathered here today, on this happy and joyous occasion, to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony.' He began, a smile upon his face as his light brown eyes seemed to be lighting up with joy.

It was nice to see someone so delighted over the marriage of another.

I thought of my mother. She rarely talked about what it would be like when I was older, but I could remember the times she had. She had spoken to me about what it would be like when I finally found the person that I loved, about what it was like to be wed.

I thought of how I had seen my father act around her; of how infatuated with her he had been. I thought of how much I had longed to feel the same. My smile grew as I realized that it was happening.

Despite being furious with my father earlier, I was thankful for his involvement. He had found me the love of my life. I would have to ask him how he knew it would be her when we returned home.

'Marriage is a solemn institution to be held in honor by all, it is the cornerstone of the family and of the community. It requires of those who undertake it a complete and unreserved giving of one's self. It is not to be entered into lightly, as marriage is a sincere and mutual commitment to love one another. This commitment symbolizes the intimate sharing of two lives and still enhances the individuality of each of you.' The priest looked between the two of us, his gaze eventually settling on me. 'The vows shall be shared now. Vladimir? Will you begin?'

I paused in thought, my mind beginning to blank. This was something I hadn't been prepared for. I hadn't thought an arranged marriage required vows. I spared a glance in the direction of Henry, watching as he smirked. I smiled to myself, realizing that Henry had made the adjustments. He wanted to see me sweat.