Part Eight: Governor Olek

The quiet breathing of the other five Royals was the only noise as Averia crept up to the pallets where they slept. She hated to wake them, but she had to get to Olek before her final dress fitting for the wedding. She was just about to wake Sarah when the Roman Empress's eyes flew open. She sat up quickly. Averia was slightly afraid that Sarah might not recognize her in time to spare her life. But she did. Sarah looked around, then whispered urgently: "Averia! What on earth are you doing here? Is something wrong!?" Averia just shook her head and moved to Lunden, calling her name. Sarah caught on, and soon they were all awake. More than one was slightly mad for being awakened early. Myah rubbed her eyes. "This had better be good..."
---------------------------
"Not good. DEFINITELY not good." Gracina looked at the costume she now wore. "Averia, are you sure we couldn't be travelling nobles or something?" Sarah's face looked disgusted. "Yes. Anything but....this.." She held a piece of her disguise between two fingers. "I don't think going as dancers is going to work like you think it is...and this array is in no way dignified." Averia sighed. "I know. But it's the only thing I could think of that could actually work. You can deal with it." "Says the girl wearing the most covering costume of all of us." Myah said. "Governor Olek had better be worth it. " The six departed the palace in a closed cart, much to the relief of the girls. They actually looked fine. It was just that they would rather have worn a nice, covering blanket than the clothes they wore now. Nevertheless, they arrived at Olek's palace in a a couple of hours. Averia somehow bluffed her way past the guard and got into the room where that night's entertainment waited. There was a snake charmer, from whom everyone except Averia made a point to stay away. Then a poet and a skit. And then the Royals. One by one they were called. By some great coincidence, Olek didn't remember how many acts he had booked for that night, and therefore called for the next after all the "real" acts were through. The Royals made their way into the hall. Actually, they didn't dance as badly as Averia had feared. In fact, a few were very good at it. But she couldn't pay attention to them now. She made her way, dancing, to where Olek sat. Then she looked him in the eyes. Only for a moment, as to not be considered disrespectful. Long enough for him to recognize her. The dance concluded, and clapping ensued. Olek stood. "My friends, thank you for honoring me with your presence this night. I wish you all a blessed sleep." The people filtered out, but the Royals stayed. This was the plan, right? Otherwise it would be really awkward to stay standing here... Once everyone was gone, Olek turned and smiled at Averia. Then bowed: "What brings the Princess of Arabia to my home?" Myah's jaw dropped. A grin split her face and she leaned to whisper in Lunden's ear: "I'm sensing Olek has spent a bit more time thinking of her face than he lets on." Averia grinned for a moment, then her face became serious. "Olek, I am to be married. My parents will not tell me the name of my intended. I fear the worst. I cannot marry a man I do not know or that I detest. I come to you with a request of sanctuary. You have been my friend for a long time, and you may be my only place to go if I should flee my wedding." Governor Olek appeared thoughtful. At least, he did to Averia. To Sarah, the look in his eyes said that he didn't have to think much at all about his answer. Was he amused at Averia's plea?!? Olek spoke after a minute: "Princess, we have been friends for a long time, as you said. But if you consider me your friend, listen to me. Do not run from your parents. They love you, want you to be happy. Do not break their hearts by leaving them suddenly. You shouldn't run from responsibility either. The marriage you might enter may be for the good of your country." Averia opened her mouth, then closed it and shook her head. "Thank you for your advice. But I have spent all my life as Arabia's Princess. Maybe I will choose my own will in this matter." Olek bowed, and the talk was over. That was that. The end. But Averia was left with questions....and a choice. To go her own way, and find happiness, but risk alienating her family and people; or to stay, be a good little Princess, and risk spending the rest of her life with a man she hated. Averia wanted to leave. Get out of Arabia, avoid the wedding and all her other problems. But she had chosen herself many times....maybe it was now time to become the boring, diplomatic Princess everyone seemed to want. Maybe it was time to grow up.

Royals Through Time 5: The Arabiansजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें