Chapter 30: The Bitter Escape

Alix's POV:

"Stop screaming! There is no one in this tunnel that will help us."

After a few more agonizing moments, the others stopped pleading for help. My wrists were sore from the tight cuffs that kept me secure to the wall. The foul smell of rotting corpses and blood permitted the air. I knew that if we couldn't escape soon we would be joining the skeletons on the floor.

"What are we going to do," Wolf boy asked, his voice was rough from yelling.

"How the hell am I supposed to know!" I snapped.

This wasn't exactly how I expected my Friday night to go. Earlier today, Chelsea, a friend of my brother, asked me out on a date. She had a pretty smile and a likable personality- at the time I couldn't think of a reason to say no. As the seconds ticked by I imagined what I would tell her if I ever saw her again. Sorry that I couldn't make it to our date, my best friend/ charge/ crush decided to go save her potential soulmate and her crazy aunt forced me to tag along. For some reason I didn't believe that would go over well.

"Listen Alix, we're all stressed out but you're the only one who can really know if we make it out or not," Dmitri said.

I didn't know if I liked him better or worse when he was pretending to be his brother. Back then, I could hate him because he was a jerk who hurt Caddie. Now, I didn't know who he was. I peered into the future, all I saw was darkness. Looking around the dark confinements of the cell, I realized that this was going to be my fate.

"I don't see anything," I told them in a weak voice. 

"What do you mean? You have to have seen something!" Cam barked.

I wish I would have. I had never seen complete darkness before, even this room had some light from the torches hanging on the walls. Darkness could only mean death. We were all going to die.

"No dog, I didn't! We have no future!" I exploded.

I could see his golden eyes narrow in anger, the veins in his muscles showed as he flexed. A high pitched noise came from the metal chains that tried to restrain him. Cracks formed in the bricks.

"Cam, you need to calm down," Dmitri told him in a soothing voice.

"No," my tone was thoughtful,"I think we can use King Kong's anger to our advantage." 

Dmitri's eyes widened once he saw the cracks forming on the wall. I smiled maliciously at the werewolf, I knew exactly how to anger him.

"You came here to protect Caddie, and yet you're locked up in a cell. She could be dead, or worse."

The truth of my words sliced through him. I didn't have to be Caddie to feel his pain; it hurt me to acknowledge the truth. I was supposed to be protecting her as well, but in this cell I was helpless. He started to morph, he began to shake uncontrollably as the cracks enlarged.

"Maybe you don't want to find her," I continued, "maybe you realized that she was meant for Aleksander so you don't care about her."

I bit my lip to hide the pain. Dmitri glanced at me from the corner of his eye, he didn't want me to push the dog to far. I couldn't stop though, a darker demon inside of me needed to say these things.

"Maybe you want her to be dead. Then, you wouldn't have to suffer every day knowing that you care about her but she'll never return those feelings."

A roar shook the room as Cameron transformed into a wolf. I should have been afraid of him but instead my attention was centered on the gaping hole in the wall.