Number Thirty-Six Chipping Street

Steam filled Platform 9¾ as the Hogwarts Express slowed to a stop, screeching madly. Biding everyone a quick goodbye, Lily bustled out onto the station floor. Finding the first available trolley, she piled an empty cage and her trunk atop it and hauled it through the platform, busy with parents and young children waiting for their loved ones.

"Looking forward to the holidays?" Marlene pushed her trolley into step with Lily with ease.

Lily sighed, "September couldn't come any sooner."

"I'm sure Petunia won't be that bad. And besides, you've got my birthday to look forward to!" Marlene grinned, steering around a crying toddler.

"I only have to survive a month till then."

Marlene laughed, stopping just before the barrier. "I've got to go find my parents. See you in a month."

"See you then!" Lily called over her shoulder as Marlene's blonde curls bounced away. Setting her sight on the red bricks, she surged forwards.

Lily was engulfed in a bear hug as soon as she stepped through the barrier. She looked up to see her father with a grin on his face as wide as the one he wore when watching the cricket or ordering Indian take-out. His auburn hair had greyed more than last she saw him, and the smile lines around his eyes were more pronounced, magnified by wire-rimmed glasses.

"Lily!" Mrs Evans gushed from beside her husband.

Lily was released by her father and immediately enveloped by her mother's warm frame.

"I've missed you so much, my darling."

"I wrote every week." Lily smiled into her mother's hair, breathing in the scent of pear blossom.

"I know, but I still."

"I've missed you too, Mum—and you, Dad."

"We're sorry Petunia isn't here," Mr Evans apologised. "She's spending the day with Vermin and his family."

"Henry! Do not call Vernon that," Mrs Evans scolded.

Mr Evans hated Vernon. Lily hadn't met him yet, but she already disliked the sound of him; he was—according to the letters she'd received—a bland, conceited, mollycoddled half-whale.

"It's okay." Lily shook her head. "I'll see her later."

Lily was reminded of her distaste for evening London traffic as they stood waiting for a chance to cross the road. After ten minutes, they finally reached their car, a dark green Beetle. Mr Evans swiftly stowed Lily's trunk in the boot while Lily clambered in the back, setting the cage next to her. Mr Evans closed the passenger door for his wife and hurried around the front of the car, plopping into the driver's seat. They pulled out onto the road and began the trip home, the car humming happily amidst loud London.

"So, Lily," Mrs Evans asked as she wound down her window a smidge and shooed out a fly. "Any interesting boys this year that you forgot to mention in your letters?"

Mr Evans's eyes bulged.

Lily sighed, "No, Mum. I'm not seeing anyone."

That was entirely true. If you didn't count Lily's one trip to Hogsmeade with seventh-year Hufflepuff Kyle Cornfield—which she absolutely didn't. The mere thought of it made Lily cringe. She was almost thankful that James Potter showed up and ruined it. In her defence, she hadn't said yes because she wanted to as such; it was more of a nicety.

Mrs Evans hummed, "How did your O.W.L.s go?"

"Quite well, I think. I'll get the results just before term goes back."