Chapter Sixteen

I had a nagging feeling that something bad was about to happen. I wasn't sure what but I had a feeling it may have something to do with the prophecy and I still had to find my father. 

"What are you thinking about, baby?" Kale asked, noting the look on my face. 

"I think something's going to happen. I just have this feeling," I replied. 

"I'm sure it's nothing, sweetheart," he said. At the same time I heard a crashing sound and jumped up, sprinting towards the playroom where my kids were. They were all fine thankfully but I wasn't taking any risks. 

"Hannah, get all the kids under sixteen and all the elders to the panic room along with the doctors," I told a teenager who was painting. She nodded and got up. "Everyone, go with Hannah. We're in lock down."

Everyone scrambled up. There were maybe twenty kids in the room and they all listened. The older kids picked up the little ones who were too young or too scared to walk and the others followed. Kale and I went room to room, assigning teenagers to round up elders and children and get them to the panic room. 

The panic room was solid steel on the outside with multiple layers of bulletproof glass before more layers of steel. It was indestructible and large enough to fit our entire pack plus a few hundred more and had resources to last weeks. It was pretty much an indestructible underground house. 

Within ten minutes everyone was where they should be and we were doing final sweeps of the house. We'd had drills before and we were prepared for this. All the elders and everyone under sixteen along with any sick, wounded, pregnant, or nursing pack members were in the panic room. It was probably about a quarter of the pack all together but we still had a few thousand warriors to fight. 

Already the house was surrounded by our warriors, waiting for orders. As soon as I stepped out of the house I heard the howls. Everyone who hadn't already shifted did so, including myself. Withing moments the cries and howls of wounded and battling wolves could be heard. We were under attack by at least two packs and some rogues. Luckily we were strong and we could take them. 

I sprung into action, tackling a large blonde wolf and slicing through his neck with my claws. I jumped off the now dead wolf and was instantly pounced on. This wolf wasn't only large but also skilled. A seasoned warrior no doubt. He got a few good slashes and bites in before I used all my strength to swipe his head hard enough that it snapped to the side, his neck snapping. He fell dead to the ground and I looked around, seeing some of my warriors fallen but very few in comparison to the enemy warriors. 

You have this. Use your power. It's not the war of all wars but this is still a war, Angel said. I barely heard from her anymore as I'd absorbed most of her. We'd started to become one and she didn't speak up often as she was now more of a conscience. 

I fought another three wolves before I saw more approach. I sent a mind-link message to my warriors, telling them of the next line of attackers. I used my power to send a strong wind towards the three wolves stalking towards me, sending them flying back into a large oak tree. Just in case they weren't already dead, I broke off a large branch of the tree and sent it falling onto them. 

As I was still in wolf form, I didn't have my hands and using my powers was much more difficult. I could only use my mind and that was a lot harder than when I was human or angel and the magic would take over my body. 

I quickly dodged a wolf as it hurtled towards me. I sprung up, landing on his back and sinking my claws into him. He thrust his head about, making it difficult for me to bite his neck but I timed it perfectly and sunk my teeth into his jugular as hard as I could before jumping off of him to help a warrior who was currently being attacked by three wolves. 

I'm not sure how long the battle went on but eventually the last of the opposing wolves fled with their tails between their legs. It wasn't safe yet though. We had to be on the lookout. More wolves could come at us at any moment but at least it was an opportunity to tend to the wounded. A group of warriors helped move them inside as the rest of us kept guard. I took a tally and counted twenty-eight dead wolves and thirty-five badly injured. The rest, even ones with pretty bad wounds, were still standing and able to fight, already starting to heal. My pack was tough. They would fight until they could no longer move. 

I sent out five groups of warriors to assess the woods, make sure there were no remaining wolves. They came back fifteen minutes later giving us the all clear and that all wolf scent was stale though there were a few dead wolves who hadn't escaped. 

I rounded up most of my warriors, keeping the ones who had the fewest injuries on guard as the rest went to their rooms to change. I followed Kale up to our room and we both shifted back. He had a deep gash on his stomach and another across his shoulder. I could feel the blood on myself but I healed a lot quicker than Kale did, even though he healed quicker than most wolves since he had alpha blood. 

I came back with a first aid kit and tended to Kale, cleaning the large gashes first and using medical glue to close the deep ones on his back, shoulder, stomach, legs and right arm. I cleaned up the smaller ones after, noting that they were healing pretty quickly and that the small wounds should be gone within the next two days. 

I put bandages over those wounds and then finally let him tend to me since he had been protesting the entire time. I'd only won when I pointed out that as a fallen wolf I healed much quicker than he did. 

My wounds were healing quickly, some of the smaller scrapes already almost completely gone. I had a few bad wounds that Kale used the glue to close. Bandages were placed on those and a few other wounds but the smallest cuts were fine to be out in the open. 

We took a shower together, cleaning each other of the blood caked onto our bodies. Usually when we were in the shower together we would get dirtier rather than cleaner, but we were too exhausted to make love. We'd been fighting for hours and I needed a nap though it would have to wait until everyone was tended to. Tomorrow if we didn't get any more attackers, we would hold a pack meeting, but right now, we needed all the warriors on alert and we had insisted on all those in the panic room staying in there. Warriors would be allowed in small groups and we had rotated out the original warriors stationed in the panic room with new ones who had already been in the battle. 

We went to the panic room and were tackled by our kids. I hugged them all and gave them all kisses before I took my baby girls in my arms and peppered them with kisses too before handing them to Kale and telling my kids that they were going to have to stay here tonight but that Daddy would stay with them. 

Kale and I were the strongest in the pack, at least one of us had to be on guard duty tonight and already decided it was me. Kale wasn't happy about it but I won the argument eventually. No one was getting past me tonight. 

(Ta da!!! New chapter! There's still one more though before I end the book. For real this time though. Not just a temporary ending. Anyway, hope you all enjoyed! Vote, fan, and comment! And check out my other books! -Anya :D)

The Last of the Fallen Wolves (Fallen Wolves #1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara