Chapter 3 - Ace

As I wait by the road sign at the crossroads, my mind wanders to thoughts of Lucilia. She's beautiful. I noticed that soon after we started walking together. Images of her smile when she's happy and her crinkled nose with downturned lips when she's irritated or disgusted flash through my mind. I love her facial expressions. Especially since whereas she's always expressing her feelings, I'm keeping them in. We complement each other other in that way.

My thoughts always turn to her it seems. I can't help it. She's one of the closest people to me in my life.

When I first realized she was following me, I was slightly disturbed. Who wouldn't be? But then I discovered that we walk the same path to school. How coincidental and perfect. So, we walk together before and after every school day. A year later and it has become such a usual routine that I can't imagine changing it. Our walks are one of the few bright spots in my life.

The sound of light footsteps reaches my ears, and I turn towards their origin. Lucilia comes into view, with a slight skip to her step. Why is she so happy this morning? It's Monday. Nobody likes Mondays. And yet, there she is with a smile brightening her face, creating a masterpiece that I could, and do, stare at.

Some would say that there's nothing special or stunning about her appearance. And I suppose from a first glance, they're correct. She has blonde hair that falls past her shoulders in soft waves and dark chestnut eyes set above a small, slightly upturned nose. Her body figure is not that of a model, but she's healthy and - probably from our walks - maintains muscles and curves.

However, most people would say that she appears average. They do not notice the small details like I do, though. The light spattering of freckles that are on the apple of her cheeks, the way that her infectious laugh causes her eyes to shine, and the way that her crinkling nose makes her look adorable are not caught on a first glance. A person has to spend time with her to realize that she's beautiful. A privilege that I have because we both live far away from our small town's life.

Pushing my thoughts aside, I focus on the girl before me as she approaches. "Hey, Ace!" she greets jovially, a smile adorning her face.

Hey, beautiful. I smile at her positive mood. It looks like today she is not going to be depressed. I despise the days when she's upset, but I'm clueless as to what causes her withdrawn personality. There are times when everything seems fine, and she's happy and full of life. Other times, she's closed off and has a distant look in her eyes. It's haunting. I would do anything to prevent that look.

Lucilia's next question interrupts my inner musings. "Are you okay?"

I nod in reply, my ability to speak never revealing itself in her presence. She accepts my answer and starts to lead the way to school. I trail her for a moment, but then I jog a couple steps to reach her side. The whole entire time we take to travel to school is filled with silence, neither of us wanting to disturb the morning peace.

Upon our arrival, the nosy students of this tiny school turn towards us. It starts with one person noticing, then another, and another, and another. So many people who don't know how to mind their own business all staring at us. One would think that after a year, seeing Lucilia with me would be old news. Nope. Apparently, being the "malicious bad boy who estranges all but one" means constant attention.

I grip Lucilia's smooth right hand with my own and glare at the gazing students. Their curiosity and confusion was understandable in the beginning, because I had never associated myself with other students, but by now that confusion should have disappeared. As I tug Lucilia closer to me, my fingers subconsciously toy with the ring on her middle finger. She's always wearing the silver band with a rose engraving, but has never mentioned to me anything about the sentiments attached to it.