Chapter 35

Geneva Preston didn't look like a medium

Geneva Preston didn't look like a medium. With her gray hair pulled up in a tight bun, dark-rimmed glasses, and cosmetic-free face, she reminded Alex of a librarian he knew in the third grade. After a few phone calls and an exorbitant amount of money, Alex was able to have Ms. Preston visit them in Bayless the following night.

"Are you sure we can go in there right now?" Abby asked.

"It's my cabin," Alex insisted.

"I don't know," Wally whispered. "Sheriff Don doesn't usually play around. He'll get pretty upset if he finds us here."

"This cabin holds many secrets," Geneva whispered.

"You can say that again," Abby muttered.

Geneva began humming a tune that caused both Alex and Abby to pause. It was the song from the music box and the song that Abby associated with Bryce.

Geneva stopped humming. "I'm sensing the spirit of a young girl. She's trapped."

"Trapped?" Alex asked. "How is she trapped?"

"She wants to cross over but she can't. She's stuck."

"Is that all you sense?" Abby couldn't help but ask. "Is she the only spirit?"

"No," Geneva whispered. "There's someone else here. Someone dark. Evil. He's angry and he wants revenge."

"It's probably Lionel," Abby whispered to Alex. "I told you so."

Geneva turned to Alex. "You wanted me to help explain what happened the night this young girl was killed?"

Alex nodded.

"Do you have an object from that night?"

"Did you get the knife back?" Abby asked him.

"No. It didn't have any evidence on it anyway."

"I need something from that night to help me communicate with her," Geneva said.

"I got it!" Abby asked them to wait a few minutes as she ran upstairs to the pink room. On the bed was the rag doll that had bothered Abby. She brought it downstairs and handed it to Geneva.

"This is perfect," Geneva whispered. "This kept her company while she died."

A gust of wind blew beside them causing all of them to jump a bit as they were indoors. They could hear a soft pattering of rain against the roof.

"It's starting to rain again," Wally observed. "The weatherman said it would be dry today."

"She's recreating that night," Geneva whispered. "Did it rain that night too?"

"Yes," Alex answered.

"She's scared. She's with her mother and she's very frightened." Geneva had her eyes closed.