Chapter five

Stopping by my house, we administered first aid to Reece and made sure he was okay before I began to pack up the house. All three of us showered though the boys had to get changed back into their clothes and while I showered, Ryan gave Hercules a spray to get the blood out of his fur. It wasn't until we got out of the subway that we realised that instead of being covered in red blood, we figured out that Golik's blood was blue. 

I gathered all my possessions from weapons, food for myself and Hercules and all the clothes I could shove into the back of my car. Reece and Ryan even packed a few backs of books, children's toys, board games and any other entertainment things he could find; even went so far as to go into the neighbouring houses. Once I was satisfied that I had everything I needed, I pulled out of the driveway and sped out of the estate. 

Reece who was feeling a bit better but is still under a blanket, began to direct me. In the backseat, I could hear and feel Ryan and Hercules wrestling with each other which made me smile, taking my mind off the anxiety that was beginning to build. I had uprooted everything I had and knew on the words of these two guys I had met not two hours ago. 

"So... What's the deal here? With my brothers." I asked softly having spent the last four hours in silence. I wanted to know everything I could unable to take the uncertainty anymore. 

Reece looked away from the window pulling his hands from beneath the blanket to run his hand through his hair sighing softly. "Well... The night everything happened was huge. The guy, who runs the joint where headed to, knew that nothing good would come from the Goliks. When the government allowed them to make contact all those years ago had decided to leave the city. So they headed out into the desert of all places, having learnt and study that there had been a bunker in the desert meaning the structure was there, they just needed to improve it. It took about two years to fix it up to make it livable and the rest was history.

"Some of our recruiters were gathering more intel and supplies. We never normally head so far down east but sometimes we do little expeditions to see if there are any others around, hence how we knew about the Seekers. Slimy little fuckers... But as we had driven out, we saw the ships coming down in force and we knew that it was starting. So we headed towards Colombus and waited out in the hotel hoping for someone to show up, to see if someone had escaped. We were in a different part of the city when we pulled back up and saw a hover, still warm and we knew there was someone there.

"Two of them went in and before we could have even said anything, Eli fucking stabbed Craig. So... We knocked them out in a scuffle. We dragged them out into our car and began driving, more concerned that their hover would be tracked than anything else but when they came to they started screaming. They told us they had a sister and they'd kill us if we didn't turn back around, that she was back at the hotel. By the time we had turned around and got back, you had disappeared." Reece swallowed looking down at his hands, his whole demeanour filled with shame and sorrow.

My grip on the steering wheel tightened as I breathed in deeply, leaning back in my seat as I pressed my lips together clicking my tongue. My mind raced with the information as I bit my lower lip, chewing on it as I breathed out slowly. 

"So... If I had just... stayed put..." Reece nodded slowly, his head lowering even further as sighed leaning back in his seat. My eyes prickled with threatening tears but I steeled myself, carefully swallowing my sobs. Ryan and Hercules had stopped wrestling in the back and a heavy silence had settled over the car. 

"Turn up here, go through the tunnel and follow it to the end. Chuck your lights on," Reece muttered softly and I followed his directions without a word.