Chapter twenty

An explosion shook the ground which startled me awake. I let out a short scream of terror and searched around confused and scared. The sun was setting and I saw that there was rubble everywhere, the battle seem to have spilt to where I was but something wasn't right. The building next to me had been blown in and there were chunks of the building lying all around me. In the back of my mind, I thanked anyone who was listening for not allowing anything to hit me. There were no gunshots anymore or any cries of helplessness and death. It was eerily quiet and I had the impression that we hadn't been the victorious side.

Pushing myself onto my knees, I cleared my throat trying to clear my throat from dust and dirt when I noticed something in the waistband of my tights that was digging into my stomach. Frowning, I pulled out a small gun and saw that someone had put the letter D on it.

Prince Drax.

I shuddered and reached around to feel any cuts or wounds on my back and sighed in relief when I felt nothing. Suddenly, as though my body was still waking up, the pain began to radiate through my entire body as I suddenly felt the full force of my injuries. My left cheekbone was swollen so badly that my eye was semi-closed. My hands were full of cuts and grazes on both sides and in both ears, there was a distinctive clicking noise that wouldn't stop.

As I went to get to my feet shots began firing in my direction. Thinking fast I slumped back to the ground as though I'd been hit, I tried to control my breathing as footsteps raced towards me. Holding my breath, I closed my eyes and stayed perfectly still, my hand underneath my body. My hand curled around the gun and slowly clicked off the safety.

Please have bullets in it, I prayed as I felt two people standing behind me.

"Think it's dead?" A male asked sounding laid back and I fought myself not to move a muscle. My muscles were beginning to cramp in my legs and bit down on my bottom lip so hard so I would cry out.

"I don't know, I'll turn her over."

"I think it's so weird you use pronouns for them."

I felt hands grip my shoulders hard and as I was turned over, I held my arm out and shot them both square in the face quickly. They dropped to the ground and I sighed as my heart pounded against my rib cage.

Get up Olive... I told myself but my body was aching so much that I couldn't be bothered to move. Would anyone really miss me if I wasn't there anymore? From the looks of it, we lost since they were just randomly checking bodies on the ground.

Closing my eyes tightly, I heaved myself off the ground and pushed myself to my feet. Seeing as they had heard gunshots, I expect someone will come looking so checking the bodies for anything sustenance like food or water I grabbed whatever I could find.

Looking around, I saw that in the walls surrounding this fortress a hole had been created by the explosion. Wasting no time, I ran to the wall and eagerly climbed through before sprinting straight across towards the building that was still there. It looked to be a small milk bar and it was one of the few buildings that were still there. I swung open the door and quickly locked myself in as I backed away from the door.

Looking around I almost cried to see the fridges were still full and not even bothering to look at the dates, I grabbed a bottle of water and drained it in one go. Moaning in appreciation, I grabbed another one and emptied over my head and frowned when I saw blood and dirt fall to the ground.

Rubbing my hands over my face, I pulled the now dead comm from my ear and stepped on it as I began to think about what I was going to do. I knew it wasn't far to the ball of twine and since this town was so small I'd make it there in no time at all.