Chapter six - A trick of the light

Mr. Gardiner pushed his chair back from the table, patting his stomach. "Whatever I might say about them saving money on the production, at least they don't scrimp on the food. I could get used to this life."

Mrs Gardiner glanced at the empty serving dishes piled up at their end of the table, her pointed nose wrinkling with disapproval. "You're like a pig at a trough. I've never known anyone who eats so much."

"I'm only taking advantage of the bounty they put in front of me. It would be a shame to waste it." He lifted a pack of playing cards out of his pocket and glanced around the table. "I've heard card games were really popular during Jane Austen's time, and even the posh ladies played. Can I tempt any of you to join me in a hand or two of whist? If Mandy objects we'll call it historical research."

"Some of us have better things to do," Caroline said as she excused herself and left the room. Mrs Gardiner shook her head, removing instead to a comfy chair in a quiet corner where she curled up for the evening with a well-worn book of sudoku puzzles.

Mrs Reynolds had brought her knitting but laid the bag to one side. "I'll have a go, although you'll have to remind me of the rules. I haven't played whist in years."

Mr. Flint helped to clear the table, while Georgiana expressed an interest, although she admitted she was a complete novice when it came to games.

"I'm a bit rusty myself," Mr. Gardiner admitted, "so we can all learn together."

Everyone else moved away from the table, settling into the comfy chairs in front of a small television. Sebastian flicked through the channels with an air of restlessness. "So this is what a Saturday evening looks like in the middle of nowhere. How did people cope, living so many miles from civilisation?"

"I think they used to entertain themselves." Jess nodded towards the table, where Mr. Gardiner had just taken the first trick. "They played games, read books, and strolled in the garden."

"I think it's beautiful here," Jane said. "I'd love to live in a place like this. The closest I get to the countryside is walking my dogs on the heath, and I have to catch the tube to get there."

Gareth yawned, stretching his legs in front of him. "I grew up in the countryside. You get used to the quiet and soon learn how to entertain yourself."

Sebastian turned to Jane. "Don't get me wrong. Derbyshire seems like a nice place. I'm just used to walking down the street and seeing friends, or popping round to my local pub, or having a meal at the Chinese restaurant on the corner. Exley Hall is miles from their nearest neighbour. It feels so isolated, as though we're living on an island. I'm not sure I would have wanted to live here full time."

"That might be why Mrs Reynolds has the line about Darcy not visiting Pemberley very often," Jess said. "He must have preferred life in town too."

"See? I'm more like Darcy than anyone realised." A muffled jingle came from the vicinity of his pocket. Apologising for the interruption he pulled out his phone, glancing at the message on the screen. "It's from a friend. He's been having a rough time lately. I think I ought to ring him back. Do you mind? I won't be long."

"Of course not. Go ahead." As Sebastian left the room Jess felt flattered that he'd even asked her. They were co-workers, sitting together, watching television. It's not like they were on a date.

A few minutes later Sebastian's head came around the door, and he signalled for Jess to join him. As she slipped into the empty hall, he said, "My friend is a huge fan of Jane Austen. I mentioned I was working with a fantastic Elizabeth Bennet and he wanted to know what you looked like. No description of mine can do justice to the reality. Would it be alright if we take a photo together, so I can show him?"