Chapter 22

“Do they look like they’re fighting?”

“No, they’re just talking,” Henry answered.

“Give me that. You don’t know how to read faces,” she snapped and snatched the thing from his hand. “God, this is heavy,” she complained as she placed the binocular against her eyes.

Henry just rolled his eyes. She would not see anything suspicious because the two men were just like having a really nice afternoon snack.

“Hmm…that’s weird. If you we are right about Stan and John planning something together, does this mean Stan is double-crossing John? And if that’s correct, he could be my killer.”

“Or it could still be John or Garrett.”

“No, I don’t think it’s Garrett anymore,” she shook her head.

“Then who? Pamela?” he asked.

“No, of course not. The only thing the woman did wrong is having an affair with a young man. She’s being domestically abused because of it. She’s no killer,” Angelica reasoned. “But then, these men, Stan and John can have motives. I think its Stan.”

“Angelica, this is not a guessing game. Lives are at stake here and you can’t just guess who the killer is,” he said incredulously.

“I just shared my opinion,” she replied and leaned back against her seat. “This is really boring,” she huffed.

  *****

Half an hour later, Stan stepped out of the diner, looking distraught and fearful. Hell, the old man even looked like he was about to faint. Henry and Angelica watched him grab his phone and walk to his car. A moment later, he was driving away.

The moment Stan was out of sight, Garrett stepped out of the diner, his face unreadable, his expression blank. He too, climbed in his car and they followed him as he drove back to the firm.

“What do you think they talked about? Stan looked frightened,” Angelica uttered as they waited.

“I don’t know, maybe Garrett threatened him? Garrett must have known Stan knew about Pamela’s relationship with John and might have glued the pieces together.”

“That’s possible,” Angelica sighed, “but this does not give us anything about who wants me dead, right? We are completely going in the wrong direction here. Did your friends find out anything from Mr. Scarred Face already?” she asked.

Henry shook his head. “No, they won’t talk. It seems like they are more afraid of their employee than us, so I guess it will take more time to get them to talk.”

“That’s why we’re doing this boring thing,” she rolled her eyes. “I think we should give it a rest for today. Garrett talked with Stan in secret and I think it’s time we go after Stan and John. I really think those two are up to something from what you have told me.”

Henry was frowning, but he nodded anyway. “Okay, I think we should watch Stan.”

  *****

But nothing suspicious was happening with Stan. He went for a game of golf and they wasted hours waiting for him. John never appeared. He was probably in hiding from Garrett, Angelica thought, because the man was just spineless gross. She couldn’t still get over the fact that he had the stomach to sleep with the woman who, despite her younger looks, was good enough to be his mother. That was just sick.

On the other hand, he might want something else other than really gross sex from Pamela. Maybe he was the one behind every killing. Maybe Henry was right and he killed Kevin and her dad.