Epilogue

Two years later...

He felt his phone vibrating inside his jacket pocket. He ignored it as he crouched down outside the window of the old shack. It persisted.

With frustration, he took it from his jacket and punched the button. "What? I'm on a damn mission!" he hissed.

"You're late," Angelica's voice boomed from the other line. Did she miss the part where he said he was on a mission? "Everyone's here except you, sweetie, and if you don't get your ass down here I'll drive my way right where you are and I'll kick the asses of those damned Russians."

"I'll be there in thirty minutes. Just freaking stop calling me. You'll give me away," he said before punching the end button.

He made his way to the door, the crickets making their noise, covering his footsteps. His phone vibrated ones again. He turned it off.

Really, having a girlfriend who didn't care about your safety was unimaginable. And just because of that, he peered through the window and positioned his gun. He better make it quick before Angelica stood on her words and come after him.

  *****

"What took you so long?" Angelica hissed, meeting him outside the door.

"I just arrived from a damn mission," he retorted, straightening his tie.

She looked at him dryly and stepped forward. "You look like a mess." Her hands worked on his tie. "You should really stop these stupid missions. You're making me jumpy every time."

That startled him. "It does?"

"Of course it does! You're risking your freaking life."

Why did he find it hard to believe? "I thought it doesn't concern you."

"What? Are you kidding me? Why do you think I call you all the time?"

"Because I'm always late?" he guessed.

"Pathetic, sweetie. I'm calling you to check if you're still alive," she tipped her head up and kissed his nose. "Now, come on, the party has already started." She took his hand and dragged him inside.

"Wait," he pulled to stop her.

"What?" she asked, turning around.

He caught her in his arms and kissed her deeply. "Nothing, I missed you."

She chuckled. "I know you do," she stated. "Can we go in now?"

He nodded, locking his fingers through hers. Maybe he should consider that job offered by Grissom where it didn't concern holding guns. It would be less exciting, but life was already full of surprises and excitement with Angelica in it.

Just like three days ago, while he was packing for the mission, she suddenly barged in looking all panicky. He almost grabbed his gun to see if anyone was after her and after making sure that the scene was safe and she was okay, he asked her what happened. She just stared at him, her eyes wide. You couldn't possibly imagine the fear he felt. And then, just out of nowhere, after he asked her for the tenth time what happened, she blurted out, "Cass is pregnant!"

Imagine what he felt like. Yes, that was how dramatic Angelica was. "That's what made you looking harassed?" he had asked incredulously.

"Well, I'm sorry. I was just excited," she had blurted out as an answer.

That was why they were going to this damn party. It was like an advanced baby shower for Philip and Cass's baby and Angelica, his perfectly lovely girlfriend, planned it.