Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Samantha was sat at her desk for the evening reading through Julia Langdale's, previously Reynolds, records after she had glimpsed her in the elevator where Sam worked.

She found herself oddly pulled in by Julia's story. Joining the military as soon as she could, Julia reached as far as she could by enrolling in the Marines.

Sam had been an Army girl herself before she was discharged and head hunted by the intelligence service for her skills, but she recognised something of the same thing in Julia.

Reading through her hospital reports, Sam wasn't sure what to feel when the phone on her desk rang, knocking her out of her reverie.

Snatching the phone from the cradle she pressed it to her ear, "Samantha McAndrew."

"Sam, its Michael," The voice on the other end answered.

Sam turned away from the screen and stared at the wall in front of her, she had been waiting for him to call. "Have you got something for me?"

"Not yet but I think I've found something interesting on that man you asked me to track down. Carlos Ramirez?"

"What have you found?"

"We requested his financial documents," Michael said and Samantha could hear him typing in the background.

"And?" Samantha asked impatiently, her fingers clutching the edge of her desk.

"Well they came through ten minutes ago and he purchased a one-way ticket to Mexico."

Sam was already on her feet, not caring what it means, "When does it leave?"

"It departs from Heathrow in an hour. Flight TMC 4538."

"Thanks." Sam muttered as she wrote the number on a slip of paper, "I've gotta go."

"When you've finished catching the bad guys you can take me for a drink to thank me."

His request jolted Samantha for a moment, "Um, yeah, maybe."

Slamming the phone down into the cradle, Samantha grabbed her jacket off the back chair and ran out of her office.

"Jonathon!?" Samantha screamed as she hurried into the hallway, shoving her arms into her jacket as she did so.

A door opened just ahead of her and she saw Jonathon's head poke out, "Boss?"

"Ramirez is running! Ring the airline and get that flight to stand down!" Sam shoved the piece of paper into his chest as she passed him.

"What do I tell them!?" Jonathon called after her.

Samantha was already running for the elevator, "Tell them it's about national security! I'll be there as soon as I can!"

Slipping into the elevator as the doors began to shut Samantha collided with another woman who dropped a stack of papers and held the button for the basement.

"I'm sorry!" Samantha called back as the elevator doors opened but she had more to worry about than some dirtied papers.

Fumbling for the keys in her pocket, Samantha unlocked a black Range Rover and jumped into the driver's seat. Slamming the door behind her, she started the engine and roared out from the underground car park, emerging onto a busy main street.

She was aware of car horns blaring and headlights flashing behind her as she skidded out onto the road, but she simply put it into the next gear and sped off.