Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Everyone within the British government and intelligence agencies were scrambling to uncover as much information as they could about the attack that had just ripped through London's Victoria underground station in the middle of rush hour traffic. A screen in the corner of the room had been switched to the local news station as bold letters reading 'BREAKING NEWS' moved across the bottom of the screen whilst the reporter went over the same information he had fifteen minutes ago.

"A major explosion has ripped through Victoria Underground Station in the heart of London. The numbers of dead and injured are as yet unknown, as is the cause of the explosion, but they are estimated to be in hundreds as commuters filled the station when the explosion happened. We will continue to bring you up to date information of this incident as it progresses. Here are some images and videos that people have been streaming online from the site. These may be distressing for some viewers." The image switched from the news reporter to a jittery video someone had shot through their smartphone. It was hard to make out through the darkness and smoke on the video as to what was what but Strong thought he could see the steps that ascended from the underground and he knew that whoever was streaming the video was currently trapped in Victoria Station.

Closing his eyes briefly he turned back to the computer monitor he was stood in front of and tried to make sense of the information laid out before him when someone shouted from across the room.
"It was a suicide bomber!" An intelligence officer shouted in shock as he stood up from his seat, "First responders have found the remnants of a suicide vest." The air in the room grew cold and sombre as the news sunk in that there truly had been attack on British soil. And there could be more to come.

Strong turned to the operative closest to him sat at a computer, "Bring up all the intel, photos- anything that Twitch sent us from that building where he found the maps. The clue must be in there and now we know that one of their targets was Victoria station we might be able to uncover the others."

"Yes sir," The operative at the computer nodded and began to type away as various new windows popped up on the screen.

"And warn the emergency services that there may be more attacks ahead." Strong added when he heard his name being called from behind him and turned to see Truro speeding towards him.

"Strong," Truro breathed fast as if he had been running, "The alert has been sent out. Hospitals are on standby and the other stations in London are being evacuated as we speak."

"Good," Strong said as he took on the information and began to walk past Truro to battle the next problem when Truro reached out a hand and grabbed him by the arm. Strong looked down at where he touched him before staring at him in confusion, "What is it?"

"What-" Truro looked around them before he took a step closer to Strong and lowered his voice, "What if we're walking into a trap? Like you said this man has had years to plan. He must know that the first thing we would do is evacuate the other stations."

"So what, you want us to keep people in there?"

"No of course not," Truro dropped his hand from Strong's arm, "but what if there is a bigger picture that we're missing?"

"That's what I'm afraid of," Strong sighed and they fell into an uncomfortable silence when they were hailed from across the room by another computer techie. "Yes?" Strong said as he hurried over, Truro hot at his heels.

"I found one, sir," The young man relayed the information as calmly as he could but Strong could hear the slight exhilaration in his voice at the prospect of what Strong had asked him to locate, "It took a bit of digging and a slight amount of hacking into another country's system which could or could not have been illegal-"