Prologue

Nobody will ever hurt you again. But that's not true. Nobody knows who I really am, and if they do, they're a threat to me. I'm Allyssa. Alyssa was my great grandmother and her grandmother's name. But they spelled it differently. My birthday is February 30th. It doesn't exist. But it does.

There's this society, it's after me. My parents are part of it and I betrayed them. I don't believe what they believe, and I don't want to. They kill people who get in the way of their missions. They believe that anyone who is not associated with them doesn't deserve to live. Unless, they pay. In lives. For every two lives sacrificed, one will be saved. Then later sacrificed. It's how they operate. Their leader is, unfortunately, my fiance's father. As soon as his father dies, we'll get married and become the new rulers of the Society. He's 7, and already killed 14 people. I couldn't bear to lead a group so horrible. As soon as I heard of the leader falling ill I ran away. I knew after his passing there'd be no stalling. Now I'm in San Francisco with a hundred bucks and a backpack. I don't know what I'm gonna do, but at least I'm not around Headquarters. I look around, feeling the burning sensation of eyes on me. There's this guy staring at me. I think I've seen him somewhere. I wonder if he recognizes me..