Chapter 1

CHAPTER ONE

Members of The Sentinels pack could easily recognize when there was a crisis- be it big or small- within their pack territory. The emergency lights and alarms were turned on, which only occurred when the pack was being threatened by rogues or someone who wasn't given permission by the Alpha to cross unto the pack lands. The pack border of the territory all had sensors that sensed any unusual movement from a certain distance and would alert everyone of the impending crisis. Cameras had also been installed but were up in trees, making it difficult for anyone who didn't know their exact location to see. Pack warriors also patrolled the pack land constantly, but the risks of rogues crossing the borders was still a major issue.

The packs' Alpha, Jake, was visiting another pack in the East, regarding rogues. The beta, Michael "Mike" Scott, who was left in charge, hurried to the site in which pack warriors notified him of a rogues' trespass.

Rogues seldom crossed the Sentinels border, aware of the impending doom that awaited them there. The Sentinels pack, being the most powerful in the US- and the world by extension, assisted other packs that were not as strong, or able to defend themselves. Therefore, rogues knew of the dangers of going onto their borders, but some did, seeming not to care about the value of their lives.

Mike rushed to the scene, having given the pack warriors instructions to not kill the rogue until he arrived at the scene. He knew that as Beta, and with the absence of the Alpha, he would have to deal with the 'crisis', as they always referred to situations like this.

The Sentinels pack had the largest territory in the US, the home of over 3000 wolves, and with a vast amount of territory left to cover to arrive at the border, Mike shifted into his wolf, along with the other warriors who were accompanying him, as they made their way to the location.

When they got there, pack warriors stood on high alert, some still in their wolf form, and others had shifted, taking in their surroundings. A few stood near and Mike knew without a doubt that this had to be where the rogue was located. However, sniffing the air, there was no smell of a rogue around. The only scent that hit him was the faint smell that a rogue had been around, but he was also well aware of the aroma of daisies.

Although all werewolves have a similar smell, rogues are disgusting creatures and portray a decaying odor. That odor can be smelled from miles away, so it was indeed a surprise that there was no odor in the air.

Beta Michael knew of the signs and was well aware of the dangers of having a rogue on the territory. So when he took a closer look, he was shocked that it was only a young girl who was laying there. Sensing no threats whatsoever, he shifted and pulled on a pair of pants.

Walking closer to the girl who was surrounded by pack warriors, he stood to assess her injuries and her traits. She seemed to be around twenty years of age, with a mass of dark red hair that was now tangled up in blood and twigs. Parts of her clothes were torn and portions of her arms and legs that were bare were bruised and covered in dried blood. There was a nasty kill-shot wound on her neck, and he knew because he'd killed many rogues in the past, sinking his fangs into their neck, and watching as their lives left their bodies. Apart from the scratches along her body, he noticed too that her arm had been bit, and he wondered who had done that to her. No doubt the attack had occurred where she lay, which meant a rogue had been close to their border undetected. Though there wouldn't be an alert unless he'd crossed the sensors, but it pained him to think of how she could've died so close to their pack, without anyone coming to save her.

Turning to Connor, the pack warrior that had found her, he asked, "How long ago did you meet her here?"

"About five minutes," he replied. "I was patrolling when I smelled the rogue. It was above her, but ran away when it sensed me."