Chapter 3

CHAPTER THREE

As the sun rose in the early morning, rays of sunlight illuminated the otherwise dark room. Nicole had learned to appreciate the silence surrounding her since waking from her coma, but she was beginning to value the calmness that greeted her as birds chirped and the breeze coming into her windows caressed her skin. She could certainly get accustomed to this.

It was almost a week since she'd been in the Sentinels' pack. She'd been given such a wonderful bedroom for her stay in at the packhouse. Surprisingly, Alpha D'Amore had given her permission to stay here, which she didn't quite understand. She had expected to be tossed out of the pack and ordered to never return. Mike must have put in more than just a few words on her behalf. She didn't know if she would ever be able to repay him.

By allowing her unto their territory, he had done more than enough. She'd found out that he's the Beta of the pack, and Alpha D'Amore had been away at the time of her attack. It explained why she had been allowed unto their pack, and furthermore, into their infirmary to be nursed back to health.

She couldn't conclude that her health was back to being perfect. Dr. Paul had been adamant that she take long hours of sleep, and try not to exert herself to the point of going back into the infirmary. And she realized that the more she rested, the quicker she was getting back to normal.

In the meantime, until she could find a job or decide whatever she wanted to do with her life in such a huge pack, she would be helping the women in the kitchen. She still didn't know where everything was located. She hadn't really left her room since Mike had brought her there two days before. She didn't know anyone except for Mike, and the doctor, and she knew that wolves were sometimes intimidated by strangers in their pack. It was such a beautiful and humungous packhouse, and she was afraid to touch anything. The room she had been given was more than enough.

Nicole got into the shower and scrubbed from head to toe. Her red hair was in a mess and she had to take extra special care to untangle the knots. Because of the bandages, it was the first refreshing shower she could have without concern about her wounds.

After a long shower, Nicole dried herself and went in search of an outfit for the day. There wasn't much to choose from. Mike had brought her some clothes from female members in the pack, although she had refused. Not like she could refuse a Beta, though.

He had no idea of her pack rank back home, and she thought it best to keep it that way. The less they know about her, the better. She knew that if one aspect of her life was to be revealed, it would only raise more questions. All they needed to know was that she was running away from a forced mating, one that is against werewolf law.

After dressing quickly into a pair of skinny jeans and a simple t-shirt- from the clothes which were able to fit her, she decided to leave her hair out to air-dry before leaving the room.

She walked down several hallways and staircases and had thought she was lost. Just when she was about to lose hope, she collided with something- or rather, someone. She was surprised to see a very beautiful strawberry-blonde haired woman, who beamed at her. Nicole instantly thought about her best friend, Amber. She missed their late-night chats, and their movie marathons during the weekend.

"Hi, you must be new here," the woman said. "I'm Debbie." She outstretched her hand, the smile still prominent on her face. Nicole wondered if she ever stopped smiling.

Shaking her hand, Nicole replied, "Hi, it's nice to meet you. I'm Nicole."

Debbie grinned, before looping her arm with Nicole and guiding her further down the hall. "You must be joining us in the kitchen. That's where I'm heading."