37 Sons

My eyes droop. Jareth's hand slams onto the table and I jerk. He gives me a smug look as he walks back to the corner. I don't know how long I've been held in this room. There's no sense of time here. The only indication of time passing is that this is Jareth's sixth shift. Maxon's heavy on the interrogation questions, whereas Jareth tends to stare and stay quiet.

         I press my palms on the table to push myself up. "I know I'm the one who's not supposed to be getting sleep, but you and your brother can't possible being getting much either."

         He crosses his arms. "I appreciate the concern."

         The hallucinations haven't started yet. At least I don't think they have. Maybe he's actually Maxon and maybe he's not really talking.

         He tilts his head. "Don't you want to talk before it gets rough—"

         Shouts come from outside the door.

         "What is—" He opens the door. "No." He tries shutting it, but a man forces it open. "What are you doing here? Guards!"

         The new man rolls his eyes, his black hair disheveled. He's taller than Jareth. "Don't bother, brother. I've taken care of them."

         King Kasen only has three sons. Judging by his looks, this man is older than Jareth by at least a few years.

         "Who's this?" He gestures to me. "A new project?"

         I blow a straggling hair out of my face.

         "She's no one. Get out."

         "You worried I'll talk?" He shoves past Jareth and comes toward me. "You don't want me telling her I'm older than you?"

         Jareth's face pales.

         This man is the rightful heir to the throne.  Kasen has another son. This is huge. It could have monumental consequences for Quill. I need to keep my mouth shut and try to make it seem like I don't understand—that I'm half asleep.

         Jareth pushes him against the wall. "What are you doing here?"

         "I came for my monthly allowance but Father wasn't here. Apparently they've all gone out on an excursion."

         "Don't call him that."

         The man smirks. "We share the same father. I'm not sorry if you don't approve of my mother."

         "Get out." Jareth drags him toward the door. "I'll give you your money. When I get back"-- he looks at me-- "you better talk." The door slams behind them.

         I swallow.

         King Kasen had an illegitimate son before Jareth was born, making this older son the true heir. This son could assert his claim to the throne, sending Quill into a civil war.

         Now I, the enemy princess, know. They'll never let me go.

         I lean my head on the table and close my eyes. I'll take whatever sleep I can even if I am scared of what I'll awaken to.

I'm so sorry for how short it was. I wanted to be sure I'd have something for you on Sunday. I'm going on a last minute trip that I leave for early Sunday morning.