Chapter 2 || Poison To Vampires

Waking up on the cool concrete, Mary instantly knows where she is: The Cellar. Her body is sore and achy from the early morning transformation. Trying to sketch out the sores of her naked body, she is hit by a pang of terror. "Oh God, what have I done," she gasps, looking around. Ander is gone. She sniffs again and again. No blood. No sign of death. Everyone must be safe another night from the dangers that lurk within her. Thank God! The last thing she remembers is Ander practically carrying her through the woods, but then all is blank. Mary discovered the mind will purposefully block out moments that are deemed too painful, and transformations defiantly qualify as a contender for that category. She just wishes it would happen every time. 

The thing that is most confusing of all for Mary is that the next full moon is not for another week. I shouldn't have changed yet. How could this be? Slowly moving her aching body up from the bench, she walks over to the string attached to the key. It's strange to think that the beast within her cannot remember or think about using the key; however, she does. It's one of the things that makes her believe that in beast form she isn't much of anything but destruction. No one is safe from me. I am a monster. Trying to push out the intruding thoughts, she unlocks the steel gate. It creaks open, walking out of her cage, she begins grabbing the various clothing items from the shelves Ander had built close to the start of their friendship, all those years ago. 

"For fucks sake. What are you doing out here dressed or should I say underdressed like that?" The man called staring down at me. My skin crawled as he drew close and fear of what a man would do to a woman in my state riddled me frozen with terror. I had just completed my second transformation. The sun was still rising, and I was lost and confused. I could not tell where I was just that I couldn't stay. I had dried blood in my nail beds and my stomach turned at the thought of what I might have done. "Christ, my apologies." He added at my appearance. Flinging his thick wool coat around my cold naked body, he asked, "What do you need right now?" 

I was taken aback by the question. The beast inside tugged telling me to run that the man was dangerous but his actions said otherwise. There was a gentleness about him I was not anticipating. I thought for a moment about what I really needed. What would make me feel human again? "I-I need a shower."

He nodded with understanding, but how could he. "My flat is just down the road. If you would like to go clean yourself up a bit. I have some clothes you could borrow, and I've been told I can make fairly decent beans and sausage." To my surprise, I accepted his offer, and I haven't really left the flat since. Discovering, he is a vampire and I am a werewolf gave me a little clarity as to why the beast in me wanted to run to the hills at the first meet of the charming Ander. 

The day Ander installed the shelves and helped Mary curate the cellar, Greg wanted nothing more than to help, unfortunately, that was only a few months after his death, and he hadn't gotten used to the whole ghostly being thing just yet. Thinking back that these small moments that had rather big impacts on her life, Mary couldn't help but feel a little sentimental. She loves her small dysfunctional family with all her heart, and although, they are not blood she would do anything for them, and she knows they reciprocate the feelings. They have become a pack for her. 

Dressed in black joggers and a long sleeve gray top, she realized a while back that if someone comes from the woods appearing to be on a jog there fewer questions or looks of concern. She takes a deep sigh before, jogging up the stairs, propping up the concealed cellar door, and climbing through. Before leaving, she moves debris to hide the door once again.  Searching around to ensure no one is around, Mary sniffs the air, before pushing past the bushes and trees to jog lightly back home. Doing what she can to keep up the appearance of normalcy. She passes a mom and her daughter, who seem to sell cookies around the neighborhood.