Chapter 3 || Reminder of Mortality

† ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ G r e g ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ † 

Do you know what it's like to feel useless at times?  Like you're there, but you have no relevance. As though everyone around you can exist perfectly fine without you. That is just a small glimpse of how Greg feels when he is home alone. He understands that he is dead that he is unseen by humans, but he at least holds some importance to Mary and Ander. They talk with him and see him. It's as though without them he seemingly no longer exists. 

Greg died six months ago, and like many of the spirited variety, he doesn't recall how it happened. The last thing Greg remembers from his living days was lounging around. Then, he was looking at his corpse on the floor. His blood seeped into the rug he had purchased only a few days earlier. The thing about Greg's death that has stumped not only him but the police, is that no one was around. Not a soul, but it is evident that something happened as he was wounded severely in the head. He was murdered, but the case has gone cold. No witnesses. No evidence. Expect one. Greg, who is clueless. 

Part of Greg believes wholeheartedly that the reason he is trapped in the spirit world is that he is meant to be seeking retribution or resolution for his death. However, if Mary or Ander were to ask about the case, he would simply retort that he is too busy to look into it right now, and if that doesn't work then there is always the tried and true, "I can't get myself to do that right now." It is a true statement, but at this point, it is just another safety net Greg has put in place to ensure he doesn't have to dig into his path like that for a little while longer. As much as he misses his old life and at times it sadness tears him apart, he is happy for the most part. He is needed.

Look at this place, Greg thought to himself. I pretty much run this place. I take out the garbage, cook the food (that only Mary really eats), mail the bills on time, tidy up the place, clean out the drain because between Ander and Mary the shower clogs up fairly quickly. Without me nothing would function properly. He may complain, but secretly he loves it, every bit of it. He is made himself useful. He has made it so Ander and Mary have unknowingly become dependent on him just as he depends on them. 

Before his death, Greg use to work as a barrister. Going to work every day for long hours although much of it was rewarding in common law there were many cases that left him heartbroken. He was very good, but sometimes it seemed as though the law was not always on the side of the morally just. 

Speaking of work, Greg gently coos to Mary, "Sweets, wakey, wakey." She groans as her eyes meet the rays of sun coming from the shades. 

"Must I," she asks her Welsh accent becoming stronger with sleep. As she slowly moves her body to sit up. 

"Oy, you were the one that wanted this," Greg reminds of the fact that he had suggested she stay home after last night's transformation. 

"True, but I'm doing it for you," she points out, a sleepy smile resting on her face, as her finger goes to pop Greg on the nose. 

"And I love you for it. Do you want me to come along and help you with the meeting?" He asks secretly hoping she says yes, but knowing the answer will be a no before even hearing it. 

"No, it's fine, but thank you, Greg," she states, giving his hand a light squeeze.

"Oh, sure. Right. Of course," he stumbles out a response. Mary gets up from the couch to stretch and gives him a serious look. 

"Sweetie, when are you going to start looking into your death again? I know it's been some time. Do want some help to get started?" Her eyes are earnest and full of love, but Greg is not having that look sway him.