Chapter 3

*Present Day*
After ten minutes of complete silence in the limo, James cleared his throat. "Do you think that threat was a good idea?"

"What threat?" Was the bored response I gave.

He leaned forward, hands resting on his lap. "He has connections. They could easily find you, and they could hurt you."

"I'm aware."

"Look Laylah, all I'm saying is that maybe you should ask Beretti for protection because-"

"No." I turned to face James. "Listen, you don't need to worry about me, alright? This deal is done and just like always, I will be fine. Absolutely fine. I don't need Billy Beretti's protection."

"Why are you like that?" James' voice was cross. "Ever since the moment we met you've been closed off and rude. I know you didn't want to pretend like we were dating, but whoop-de-do, neither did I. Beretti told me I had to, and just like you, this was my one shot to fulfill my dream. And we both took that chance. So instead of hating me and acting like I'm the worst thing that has ever happened to you, which I doubt I am, you could ease up and understand I'm being genuine."

He was right. I wasn't being fair to him. Ever since the moment we met to set the deal, he had only been kind to me. And every time, I simply brushed off his existence because I was beginning to find him attractive- physically and personality-wise. At first his black-peaked hair and charming smile meant nothing to me, but then he started holding doors open for me and pulling out my seat. At first I thought it was all a front to make sure the media caught us, but even out of the public eye he would do the same. In all honesty, he had to be the kindest man I had ever met. But I refused to like a Creedmoor artist. Every time I thought I could I would think about how Lucious might feel about this.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to raise my voice at you, I just-"

"You don't need to apologize." James looked questioningly at me. "You're right, I've been being a bitch. And I'm sorry." The limousine came to a stop and I reached for the handle. "And as for seeking out protection from Billy Beretti-"

James cocked an eyebrow. "Yes?"

"It's still a no."

James hopped out of the limo behind me, telling the driver to drive around the block while we spoke.

"Listen, okay. You need protection. The Archists, they aren't jokers. They mean business." A look of deep concern was plastered on his face.

Taking a deep breath, I just stared at him. Why is he so worried about me? Honestly, he is being paranoid.

"Why do you even care so much about this?" James' eyes fell on the concrete and I had my answer. Please don't.

"Cause I like you, Laylah. A lot."
————————————————————
"What is it?" Jamal entered Hakeem's room where he was rewatching the news on Anderson's case. "Hey, is that Laylah?"

"Damn right it is." Hakeem handed Jamal the phone. "Her crazy ass sent Jerry Anderson to the state penitentiary. Ya know what that means?"

"That the streets are safer?"

"Naw,bruh." Hakeem looked disappointingly at Jamal who always had a soft spot for Laylah despite her up and leaving them. "It means she's gonna die. The Archists are some crazy ass fools and they will get her."

Jamal handed back Hakeem's phone with disapproval on his face. "Why do you sound so happy about that?"

"Cause, Mal! Karma is gettin' her back like she deserves. She played dad like a damn snake."

Jamal rested a hand on Hakeem's shoulder. "Don't be cold like that, Keem. You know she was the closest thing you had to a mother, and no matter what she did to dad, she loved us. You the most though. What'd she used to call you? Prince Keembo?" Jamal flashed a grin at Hakeem who laughed.

"Damn right. I was and still am the prince. That's why you need to help me get the Empire, Jamal." Hakeem shut his room door in case Andre decided to stop by. "I know Andre has a better chance at it then I do cause he all book smart and whatever, but it's you and me whose got the talents. We can do this."

Jamal didn't want the Empire. He knew his father hated him for being gay, so even if he did want it, he wouldn't have a chance. But he didn't mind helping Hakeem. Keem was the baby and he promised Laylah and Cookie that he would take care of him.

"Alright fine. What do you need?"

Hakeem smiled. "Well, there's this rap I'm trynna to spit but I keep getting stuck."

Jamal took his place at the keyboard. "Let's hear it."