Chapter 4 - Making Friends and Enemies (ii)

The mirror-colored ellipsoid that was TheBestAtJumping emerged back into real space just at the edge of what the Hive laughably considered its territory. Min-ji immediately attempted to establish communications. The reply she got was not promising.

"Attention terrorists Ambassador of Proxima and Dog," said the voice, in High Hive "By the assent of Primes you are proscribed from Hive Territory. Approach and be destroyed."

The electronic pheromone code accompanying the message indicated frosty hostility.

<Are they joking?> asked TheBestAtJumping <If that's a joke I like these people.>

"It's not a joke," said Min-ji "Originally it was a genuine threat but now it's just bluster. In the past we've usually backed down to let them save face."

<This is going to be so much fun,> said TheBestAtJumping <I'm so glad I agreed to this.>

"Explain to the Prime of Primes that my people are going to destroy the wormhole router unless she is willing to compromise," said Min-ji, in reply "This is my final overture. If she won't talk to me now there will be nothing either of us can do to stop this from happening."

"Terrorist-" came the response.

"You tell her," said Min-ji "Tell her Min-ji Cerulean is at the edge of Hive Space in a state-of-the-art starship waiting to negotiate our withdrawal. In the absence of one we will be continuing on to the Hive home star. If you want to take responsibility for withholding this information from your Prime that's your business."

There was a very promising pause, and then the communication link cut out.

<You showed her,> said Mac.

"It's awful," said Min-ji "I hate being in the position to have to do this."

"Don't feel bad," said Sparkle, rubbing Min-ji's back "You're a good person."

<This is exciting,> said TheBestAtJumping.

A short while later the Hive Central Authority hailed TheBestAtJumping.

"Min-ji Cerulean, the perpetual granule in my inner tissues," said Prime of Primes Chom "So you have finally shown your stinger after all these many cycles?"

The electronic pheromones, naturally, indicated the all-encompassing majesty of the highest of all Primes.

"This isn't my doing, Prime of Primes Chom," said Min-ji "When you attacked Xul you made this much bigger than the relationship between my people and yours."

"Xul is ours," said Chom "All planets belong to the Hive. There is no life but the Hive. You do not comprehend because you are demi-life."

"It doesn't have to be this way," said Min-ji "My people can teach you how to build orbital colonies. You can make as much territory as you want, an unlimited amount, just out of the debris in space. We can even build them for you! There's no need to steal other people's planets."

"The demi-life have stolen the planets from the Hive," said Chom "Let them live in the void."

"That's not going to happen," said Min-ji "Don't you understand? We're on our way to destroy the wormhole router. You'll be trapped in your home star system."

"If you violate Hive Territory it is you who will be destroyed. I have exhausted enough time with irrational humans."

The communication link cut out before the pheromone signal even arrived.

<Sounds like she voted for 'destroy the router',> said TheBestAtJumping, as she slipped back into the higher dimensions.