Chapter Ten -

Chapter Ten –

“What the hell? How is that even possible? You don’t even sleep with me when there’s lightning!” Amy’s disbelieving tone screeched from the speaker of my phone, making my cringe slightly from the loud volume of her tone in the early morning. Adrian was still in his bed, asleep, so I used this time to call Amy and talk to her about last night – due to the violent messages she had left me, both on my answering machine and in writing form, in regards to explaining to her what happened.

“I know… it was weird. This is going to sound really cheesy, and don’t make any conclusions with what I’m about to say – but I felt as if… I don’t know… like I was safe in his arms.” I mumbled, beginning to blush.

The line was silent for a moment before I heard Amy squeal then sigh, making me groan. “Ames! Didn’t I just say no conclusions?!” I exclaimed in a hushed tone, rolling my eyes at the hopeless romantic side of my best friend.

“Come on Emily, even you know that it’s sweet enough to create a cavity.” Amy sighed again. I smiled slightly, liking the fact that she couldn’t see my face for this conversation. Of course, she was my best friend – and knew me better than I knew myself. “I knew it! I can feel it in my skin! You’re so enjoying this!” Amy squealed excitedly.

The smile instantly disappeared off my lips as I felt a blush crawl up to my cheeks. “Shut up.” I mumbled, embarrassed.

Amy snickered at my embarrassment before muttering a swear word. “My mom’s calling me. Shoot, what have I done?” She asked in a panicked tone, as the phone cut off her voice, indicating another call.

I laughed at her misery. “Uh-oh. Someone’s in troubleeee!” I sang cheerfully, liking the fact that our roles reversed.

“Shut up and go back to your lover boy.” She scowled over the phone, before hanging up on me. I laughed softly at the now blank screen of my iPhone before quietly making my way back to Adrian’s room. I entered as quietly as I could, and shut the door behind me before climbing back into the comfortable bed. It was still early – about 7AM – but  Adrian was awake.

“Where did you go?” He asked in a groggy morning voice, pulling me back into his little covered body before moaning softly into my hair.

I blushed, remembering my conversation with Amy as he wrapped his arms around my waist, slightly brushing against my bare stomach as the shirt rolled up a little from movement. “I- I just had to make a phone call and text my parents.” I murmured, still nervous about being so close with him.

“Mmmm. That’s okay. Let’s go back to sleep.” He murmured into my hair, placing a light kiss on the tumbleweed-like morning hair that I was currently sporting. I mentally cursed myself for not fixing myself in a reflective surface before coming back in here, then cursed myself again for wanting to fix myself in the first place. He was my boss.

“M’kay.” I agreed, snuggling into him before becoming stiff in his hold and scolding myself again for getting too comfortable with him.

Adrian noticed my sudden rigid state, and looked down at me with a sleepy yet concerned frown. “What’s wrong?” He asked, pulling back slightly to get a full look of my face. I internally groaned, how was I going to hide my expression now?

“Nothing, sorry.” I decided to reply, smiling slightly before relaxing in his hold. He pulled me back into him and tucked me into the crook of his neck, before we both dozed off.

***

An annoying shrilling noise pulled me out of my sleeping state, and I frowned before snapping my eyes open to find the source of the irritating thing to put an end to it. I turned around slightly – still being restrained by Adrian’s surprisingly firm hold in his sleep – and found his phone vibrating on the bedside table that was occupying his side of the end of the bed.