Chapter 4

After knocking I turned around and leaned on the wall with my back. I guess he's still a little shy. I am too but I'm trying to bond here. I know it's going to be difficult but why not give it a try? I sighed and began walking upstairs until I heard a whimper. I turned and saw Brahms. I looked up at him and smiled.

        Wow, he actually came out.                                                                                                            

        " So what do you wanna do?" I asked. He pulled out a book from behind him. It read, "As Time Goes By" by Stephen Humphrey Bogart. " You want me to read to you?"

        " Yes." He said in his kid voice, his voice cracked a little.

        " Brahms..." I said while taking the book from his hands," Stop talking like that please. You're not eight anymore. You should start acting your age now, okay?"

        He started breathing heavily. Oh no. Did I just make him angry?

        After a few seconds he calmed down, " Is this what you want?"

        His voice was deeper and I was surprised by how low his voice actually was compared to his kid one. How he was able to talk that high with the voice he actually had. His voice wasn't that deep but still, it was impressive.

        I nodded, " Thank you..."

        " What did you have in mind?" He asked.

        " Um...There's not much we can do here besides reading and playing piano. Which, to be honest doesn't sound very fun. Would you be okay with going out? I know it's probably a lot to ask for and I don't know how long it's been since you left the house but I think it'd be fun." I said.

        He looked at the ground and stayed silent for awhile. " I don't think I can do it." He said. I tried to hide my face so that Brahms couldn't see me frowning. I really wanted to do something today...I also really wanted to see his face. I'm assuming he's handsome since little Brahms was. I guess I could say I tried.

        " O-Okay. I-I understand." I said disappointed. I went to the piano room and sat down in the chair. Brahms followed me and sat in the one beside me. As I was reading I aggressively flipped through the pages. I don't know why I was so angry but I was. He had the choice to try something new but chooses to keep it up with the same, boring lifestyle. After what felt like hours of reading I stopped.

        " I think that's enough reading for today Brahms." I said.

        I stood up and started walking but was stopped by Brahms. He grabbed my wrist. My eyes widened and the flashback of when he wanted me to kiss him fled my mind. I shook it off immediately and turned to face him. " What do you want Brahms?"

        He was quiet. That same blank expression on his mask.

        Still saying nothing I took his hand off my wrist and continued walking. I walked up the stairs and entered my room. I laid on my bed and thought to myself.

        Is this how I'm going to spend my life?..I don't know why I tried to get him to do something. I don't know why I am feeling this way. I wanted to have a fun time with Brahms. Why am I so attracted to him? Is it because he's so mysterious? We do have some sort of connection, I feel. And...When we had an actual conversation with each other near the stairs, it was scary how comfortable we were talking to each other.

        Thinking of something to do to help myself from dying of boredom I remembered something.

        Is Malcolm still in the hospital?? I can't believe I forgot about him!

        I took the rotary phone off my nightstand and dialed his number. He immediately picked up," (y/n)?" He asked.

        " Malcolm? Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I forgot to call you! How are you doing?"

        " Well, I'm supposed to be able to get out by tomorrow. It turns out that the back of my head was in really bad shape." He whispered," Brahms cut my head open," then spoke back to his regular speaking voice. " I had to get stitches...How are you doing? Are you okay? What happened while I was gone? You sound pretty good...I assume he hasn't been any trouble to you."

        " Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Nothing bad happened so far. Don't worry about me okay? Just take care of yourself. I'll talk to you later when you get here." I said.

        We said our goodbyes and hung up.