11.2|| Breaking Point

Yeah, you're not delirious. You get an Eye Patch POV. Don't you just love it? I know he's your favorite character.

Eye Patch scrambled after Von Crooken towards Snitch Gravel's office, shaking with fear. The boss just arrived at the compound and found out the Grants escaped. Whatever followed wasn't gonna be good.

Von Crooken strode towards the office and burst in without knocking. Eye Patch dragged his feet and stopped in the doorway. Snitch Gravel sat behind his desk, watching his hands as if expecting them to mutate right in front of his eyes.

"Two men are in the infirmary, the other two are being carried there right now. A total of four men were eliminated tonight, two of them standing a few inches from each other," Von Crooken raged. "And the worst part is that we've detected their escape hours after it happened!"

"My dear Nicholas, where are your manners? You forgot to knock," Snitch Gravel said calmly, still contemplating his hands.

Von Crooken slammed his fist on Snitch Gravel's desk. Eye Patch flinched, but Snitch Gravel didn't even blink.

"Didn't you hear me? Those brats escaped again! Don't you care?"

"Ah, by the way, why did you capture them without my express order?" Snitch Gravel asked on the same pleasant tone that sent shivers down Eye Patch's back.

"Because you wouldn't do it. If you won't, I'll make sure they're dead," Von Crooken yelled.

Snitch Gravel stood from his chair, his hands clasped behind his back, watching his two men as if they were two office chairs he considered buying.

"My dear, dear Nicholas. At what point did we, or should I say you, decide my opinion doesn't matter? I was under the impression that I'm the 'big scary boss' and you are my 'big scary right-hand man'. Do you believe I'm the 'little, not scary at all, weakling ex-boss'? Because, if you truly believe that..." Snitch Gravel looked at the ceiling and let out a disappointed sigh. "You're in for a rude awakening. Eye Patch, shoot him in the head."

Eye Patch pulled his pistol out at once and pointed it at Von Crooken's head. He cocked it and waited for the confirmation of the order. He wouldn't be too sad to pop one into old Nicholas' head.

"Boss, please," Von Crooken moaned, his hands raised and shaking.

"Oh, so now I'm the boss." Snitch Gravel no longer seemed amused or condescending. There was raw disgust on his face and he watched Von Crooken as if he were a big pile of dog shit on his clean carpet. "Now when you realize that if you told Eye Patch not to shoot you, he wouldn't give a flying fuck."

Both men flinched. Snitch Gravel didn't swear and it was that more than anything that had Eye Patch tightening his grip on the gun. He might actually get to do some shooting.

"I should skin you alive for disobeying orders," Snitch Gravel said between his teeth. "You're lucky I might still have some use for you. You know why I didn't capture the brats? Because I knew they would escape, as usual. They're much smarter than you, especially Sam. So I decided to let them think I have no intention of killing them and strike when they don't expect it. That plan went to hell." Snitch Gravel turned around and looked out the window.

Eye Patch continued pointing his gun towards Von Crooken's head, waiting for the order, but it never came. Snitch Gravel turned towards them again and waved his hand. Eye Patch immediately lowered the pistol, but kept it out.

"I'm sorry boss, really sorry," Von Crooken moaned still eyeing Eye Patch warily. "But you could have let me in on the plan, too."

"Oh, I also thought I told you to stop the experiments at the lab. I want the research files burned immediately," Snitch Gravel went on as if he hadn't heard Von Crooken.