part 13

bro·ken
ˈbrōkən/
adjective

(of a person) having given up all hope; despairing.

•••

they had to move the camp quickly, the bombs falling around them like raindrops.

it was much quicker than the first time, leaving equipment just to get into a bunker and pray the italians would stop before the nazis got to the british and french barricades.

harry was scared, he felt no reason to hide it. other men were scared as well, some even breaking protocol and hugging other men in comfort, only momentarily before they threw on stone faces and continued the packing.

of all the things the military was strict on, comfort was the least acted upon, mostly because war was difficult and there were less dishonourable discharges when men were comforted.

niall joked that hitler was made of money, bombing countries he was planning to take over and expecting no issues when he got there. "it's like germany forgets they're burning their money instead of their wood." he would say, and all the men would laugh.

except harry.

for some reason, he could not bring himself to laugh. maybe it was the money being too cheap to purchase anything and had more use as ashes, or the fact paper burned faster than wood. maybe it was the thought of the struggling families while they were attacked from all angles, even if they didn't follow the nazis willingly. maybe it was the jews, the sodomites, the coloured, the disabled, the children he felt for, but for some reason, he could not laugh at such a broken country led by such a wrecked man.