Chapter Twelve

A sheltered life can be a daring life as well. For all serious daring starts from within.
-Eudora Welty

Ashley Davis-Harris

The pristine marble tiles felt frosty under my bare feet. I used the wrought iron railing for support as I hastily run down the staircase.

With anxious heart, I stopped at the foot of the stairs and stared as he dropped his keys on the table. He paused when he noticed me then shaking his head, he tugged off his jacket revealing a grey shirt.

He was dressed formally with new set of clothes completely different from the casual ones, he left with. Where did he find clothes? Where was he?

I held the banister securely and cleared my throat. "You were out the whole day and night. You did not return."

Through the corner of his eyes, he gave me a look before walking further in and throwing his jacket on the couch. "Yeah. Well, I wasn't liking this place anymore."

There was a light ache in my chest. He was the enemy. I shouldn't care about his double lining words but he did leave me alone in this penthouse, again. I sucked in my lower lip and bit it before widening my shoulders and stepping ahead. "Where were you?"

I was right behind him when he suddenly rounded on me after hearing my question. Taking a step back, I inclined my head to him expectantly.

He leaned his head down and sneered. "You don't have the right to ask me. Who are you even to have the audacity to ask me that question?"

"Your wife."

He blinked and raised his eyebrows. "Is that supposed to make a difference?"

"Yes." I clenched my hands and mentally punched him in the face then bravely glared at his uninjured face. "You married me. You brought me here. You are my husband now."

"I married you because I wanted to take you away from your family. I wanted to ruin you and your family! I want to ruin him!" He shouted, his jaw practically snapping at me.

"My family? Papa?" I asked, worriedly. "Why?"

"Ugh." He wrapped his hands in his hair and groaned. "Not again. Stop it."

"Just answer me, Neil. Why?"

"Stop asking me why. Just fucking stop it!" He spat out and strode to the open kitchen.

I followed him as he opened the fridge and ducked his head in. Ignoring me, he rummaged through the fridge before finally taking out an apple and a water bottle.

Frowning, I said. "What am I supposed to do then?"

Slamming the bottle on the countertop, he glowered at me. "You're supposed to look pretty and stay in this place like an obedient lady you were raised to be!"

"But you took me away from my family!" I countered back. "You would not even let me see them. At least, you could tell me, what did we do to you?"

He glanced up at the ceiling and rubbed his neck before slicing his hand in the air, aggressively. "You know what? Just go upstairs. Get away from my sight." He told me and opened a upper cabinet, pausing then closed it with a thud. "I'm starving and there's no food here! Didn't the housekeeper come today?"

No, she did not. She was in a vacation. But I did not say it out loud because my mind was clouded with the constant worrying over my family.