Prologue

Eleven years, nineteen days, ten hours and forty-three minutes. That was how long I had been waiting for the moment I would walk through King's Cross Station and leave on the Hogwarts Express, beginning my education at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - but who's counting?

The wheels of my trolley rattled as I pushed it clumsily through the bustling crowds, steam from the trains clouding my vision of shadowy figures moving around the platforms. A small tawny owl hooted loudly as the trolley jolted over a loose tile, and the man at my side laughed slightly.

"It seems Asta is just as excited as you are," my father grinned fondly at me, gesturing to the little owl. I smiled nervously and nodded in response, my heart rate rising as decorative signs reading 9 and 10 caught my eye. The brick wall bearing both numbers was extremely intimidating, though I had passed by it countless times before. My mother placed a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Are you ready, sweetheart?"

Dark waves of hair bounced slightly in my vision as I nodded again, chewing on my lip in anticipation. With my parents standing protectively by my side, I took off at a jog, gaining speed as the wall came closer and closer. My eyes shut instinctively as I prepared for contact with the brick, but none came.

My eyes opened, and a gasp escaped my lips. The wave of steam that had washed over me cleared to reveal the Hogwarts Express, reflections of the busy platform glinting off its polished red surface. The platform was filled with chatter and clanking of trollies, mingled with hooting owls and the occasional cry from distressed mothers farewelling their children. My parent's comforting presence returned as they followed me through the wall, and I snapped my attention away from the stunning engine. Searching the crowd of students and parents alike, I let out a sigh of relief as I spotted a familiar head of scrawny brown hair.

"Remus!"

The boy turned around at the call, his eyes lighting up with a smile as he caught sight of me.

"Hello, Violet! Mr and Mrs Andrews - nice to see you." He was always so polite, and my parents never failed to answer,

"Please, Remus, it's Henry and Eleanor to you," with a wide grin. Remus nodded in acknowledgement as usual, and turned back to me.

"Are you excited?" he beamed, green eyes alight with anticipation.

"I'm not sure whether the feeling in my stomach is excitement or nerves," I admitted sheepishly with a feeble laugh, fiddling with my jacket pocket.

"A good mix either way," he laughed, and I was grateful he was so casual. It almost made up for my own lack of confidence, but that's how it always seemed to be with Remus.

We had met a few years ago, though neither of us could remember exactly how and where. Our parents had been friends at Hogwarts and had decided to meet for dinner once, bringing their seven-year-old children with them, and this was what we marked as our official introduction. We'd spent most of the night making awkward conversation while our parents recalled fond memories of their school days, and when we'd simultaneously had the idea to steal more cake from the kitchen, we immediately became best friends. Well, who wouldn't bond over a shared love for chocolate mud cake?

I wasn't exactly shy, but Remus had a certain charisma that dominated our relationship. I didn't particularly mind. Sure, we had our differences, but Remus was both intelligent and kind, and wasn't afraid to take on a challenge. I like to think I was rather similar, and in the end we got along extremely well.

A loud horn sounded through the platform, interrupting my train of thought. Remus shot me another excited glance and split away briefly to farewell his own parents.