Monster in the Library, Part 4

Moriarty sighed again. "Really, Annabelle, all your questions are extremely tiresome." He nodded to Sebastian. "Kill him."

"No!" She took a shaky breath. "Ok, I'll do it." Mustering all her courage, she moved even closer to him.

Moriarty could see the fear in her eyes before she dropped her gaze to stare at his collar. He watched intently, witnessing the array of emotions flooding her face as he quirked a knowing brow. She couldn't do it. His kitten had already withdrawn into her tight, little ball. What a shame.

Annabelle licked her lips. She never would have believed her first kiss would be to a man like this. So it was true. She wasn't meant to love anyone.

At the sound of Nicholas's whimper, she took another deep breath, and placed her hands on Moriarty's shoulders. Slowly raising herself on tippy-toes, she leaned in and pressed her lips to his before quickly pulling away.

She blushed profusely as her eyes dropped again to Moriarty's collar. She had done it! The monster had to let them go now.

There was a long silence, and only when Annabelle finally glanced up did she see Moriarty's look of. . . boredom?

"Darlin," he said quietly, "you kiss like my grandmother."

Annabelle's mouth dropped open as Moriarty abruptly turned his back on her and walked to Nicholas as he held his hand out to Sebastian. The blonde giant automatically gave him the knife from his side holster. The rest was a blur to Annabelle.

She watched in horror as the other henchman yanked the struggling Nicholas to his feet, and held his head back so his already bloodied neck was pulled taut. Moriarty positioned the edge of the blade at Nicholas's throat.

Annabelle's feet moved of their own volition. Before she had a chance to think about the insanity of what she was doing, she hurled herself between Nicholas and his killer.

And the unthinkable happened.

Moriarty lowered the blade just as Annabelle grabbed his face and kissed him with as much force as she could summon.

But as her desperate kiss continued, it was Moriarty's turn to be shocked. A smoldering desire buried long ago, started unravelling in him.

His free hand slid up her back to grasp the back of her head, pressing her lips into his, while his hand with the knife encircled her waist. And as he held her firmly there, Moriarty's kiss grew deeper, a passion igniting that he had a hard time controlling.

Annabelle couldn't stop the waves of emotion from suffocating her. What was happening? This man was a beast and yet she couldn't help herself. Her kiss matched the longing in his. She was spiralling out of control– into sensations she never knew she had. Was this desire? Impossible! She hated him! She tried to pull away from him but he wouldn't let her go.

Moriarty's mouth continued to capture hers until he realized he'd better stop. He let go of her lips, and with a quick intake of breath, rested his eyes on her flushed face. When Annabelle opened her eyes, he touched her lower lip with his thumb, and marvelled at what had just happened between them. She didn't know it yet but she had just sealed her future... with a kiss.

Moriarty turned away and walked over to one of the library tables. There was a long silence as they all stared at his back. And after what seemed like an eternity, Moriarty put the knife on the table, reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. He sent a few texts then slipped it back into his pocket. Picking up the knife again, he returned to the group, his mouth set in a firm line. He walked past Annabelle, right up to Nicholas.

"Seb, hold her," he ordered.

Annabelle couldn't believe it. She struggled when Sebastian's arms locked around her waist. She couldn't believe it! He lied to her!