Chapter 27

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 27

     “Do you understand?” Amari was careful to keep her voice down so that no one but Lachlan  could hear her and kept her eyes focused straight ahead while she waited for his acknowledgement.  He was also a Lyric, like herself, ten years her senior and someone that she considered to be a dear friend of hers.   He had been held in the facility just as long as she has and was one of the very few that she had learned to trust in this bitter world they lived in. 

     He also had more reason than most to despise The Secret Service too.  Besides the fact that they were being held against their will, Lachlan had something or rather someone stolen from him.  Their kind referred to them as their kindred spirits or soul mates.  Where they come from, it wasn't uncommon to find that one that you would share the rest of your life with.  It was a person that completed you, made you feel whole in both your spirit and your soul.  They were your match, made specifically for you in every way imaginable.  

     When the pair was first brought into the facility, Leatha and Lachlan lived for each other alone and when she refused to lay down for one of the mangy soldiers, she was literally beaten to death, right there in front of him.  Lachlan was nothing more than a shell of a man afterwards; only going through the motions day after day until he learned that Amari was pregnant. 

     It was like a switch inside of him suddenly came on.  His hollow eyes filled with new life as he took it upon himself to make sure that he got her out of the facility when the time came for her baby’s birth.  He refused to see another innocent child brought up in the barbaric system that they were being forced to live in.  He would not see another child made to endure the ruthless tactics constantly delved out to them on a daily basis.  His Leatha hadn’t survived the wrath of the soldiers, but by God, he was determined that Amari’s child would.

     “Yeah,” he whispered back to her in a hush tone.  “I got it and it will be done.  I will talk to Anserd, Jilian and Kradick.  We’ll be ready when the time comes.”

     “Good- that’s real good,” she said to him.  Taking a minute, she turned to her good friend and grabbed his hand, needing something solid to grasp onto and assure her self that what needed to be done, could be done.  “I can’t let them get to her Lachlan, I just can’t.”  She fought back the wave of despair that threatened to wash over her as she thought of her daughter and any one of the soldiers touching her, hurting her in ways that literally made her sick to her stomach.  She couldn’t let it happen.  No, she wouldn’t let it happen, she told herself.

     Lachlan squeezed her hand.  “We have this Amari.  We’ll get the children out of here, this I promise you.  The Secret Service will not touch them.  You know what to do, I know what to do and I will make sure the others know their roles too.  This will work,” he stressed, his steely grey eyes boring into hers, willing her to believe him.

     She nodded and repeated his last words as an affirmation to herself, “This will work.”

**********************************************************************