Chapter 11

Eric stood across the street from the Paradise Apartments, staring at Victor Vane's home in 1950s Los Angeles. He didn't know which room Victor stayed in, and to find out, he considered following Alice's advice–ascertaining this info from the front office. He shook away the idea. The last thing he wanted was an employee telling Victor that some stranger came around asking for him.

Eric spotted a woman out front sweeping, and he decided to try his luck with her instead. True, she could just as easily report his investigative efforts, but with her performing a mundane task, maybe she was a bot, and didn't care what anyone asked of her.

He started across the street, speaking while stepping onto the sidewalk. "Excuse me, miss?"

The woman stopped and looked over, smiling as she turned. "Hello, there. Can I help you?"

Eric returned her smile. Computer program or not, she was like everyone else–spookily friendly. "I hope you can. I arrived to meet someone–Victor Vane–but unfortunately, I don't recall what room he stays in. Do you by chance know him, or what room he stay in?"

"Oh, yes. I know Victor. Very nice man, even though he keeps to himself. And he stays in room 213, but I don't think he's there now. I saw him leave about ten minutes ago."

"Well, thank you for the room number. That's a tremendous help. And you wouldn't by chance know where he went, would you?"

She frowned, the gesture folding in her facial wrinkles. "No. Unfortunately I don't. But if you'd like, I can tell him you stopped by."

"Oh, no thanks. That's very kind, but I'll just try back later. Thank you again."

"You're very welcome."

She went back to sweeping.

Eric turned and started back across the street, and while walking, he tried to conjure up his next move. Nothing coming to mind.

The woman offered no directional guidance, and he couldn't strike out in any direction, hoping to bump into that murderer. With the next killing in the offing, Eric had to close in fast, and he decided to carry out apartment surveillance while figuring out how. But first, he needed to blend in.

He reached the other side of the divide, then scanned for places where he could melt into the background. He spotted a man seated at a bus stop, newspaper in hand. Should he replicate this?

The move seemed effective enough, though it wouldn't work long. After all, he couldn't sit at the same bus stop, reading the same paper, letting busses come and go, and not board. Then he snapped his head away.

The man at the bus stop must've sensed Eric's gaze, which is why his eyes bounced up from his paper. Eric startled at this, but he quickly dismissed the occurrence, his focus shifting towards an empty bench just inside a park.

The park stood directly across from Victor's apartment, with the bench in perfect view. That'll work.

Eric worked his head around while entering, finding the park rather pleasant. It boasted wide segments of bright green grass, abundant trees offering large areas of shade, and rows of lamps dotting its cobblestone walkways. Come nighttime, the lamps must've given off a magnificent glow, but right now they slept, their glow not needed as thick sunshine radiated throughout. Eric frowned at this. He was not dressed in park attire.

"Can't help that now," he whispered, hoping the moderate crowd would help him blend in.

Having reached the bench, he settled onto the weathered wooden seat, then began pulling at his jacket. This circulated air into his warm interior, providing welcomed relief on what had to be a 90 degree day. Then he froze mid-pull. Was the man at the bus stop eyeing him?