Monique Warek

My day started out fine, until I entered Oakley Prep. High school is like a war zone, meaning you're lucky if you survive the day. Once I park my car and make it inside the school, it's time to face the hormonal mob that is the student body. I was at my locker when I heard someone say, "Oh look, it's the ugly duckling!". I didn't even have to turn around to know that the one and only, Jordan Stone, said it. She was by far the prettiest girl in school, with long brown hair and electric blue eyes, along with a perfect body. But to me, all that was ruined by her nasty attitude.

"What did you do over the weekend Wendy?", Jordan asked sarcastically.

"Probably nothing, with no one, just like always.". And that little ray of sunshine, was Jordan's second self, Margret. She is the second most popular girl in the school because her dad donated an insane amount of money to the school.

"God Wendy, could you possibly be more of a loser?" Jordan scoffed. With that they walked away laughing. I didn't show it at first, but I couldn't hold it in anymore! I ran to the bathroom, picked a stall, and cried until the first bell sounded telling kids that they had six minutes to get to class. Once I heard most of the girls leave, I opened the stall and walked to the sinks. I turned the cold water on and splashed a little water on my face. Just then I could feel a headache coming on, which was a result of the crying. I turned off the water and when I looked up in the mirror I barely recognized who I saw in the reflection. Although I saw the same things as always, like my sleek black hair, my steely gray eyes, and my marble pale skin; I also saw a girl with puffy red eyes with bags under them from insomnia. If others could see my body, they may be disturbed by the outline of ribs, however, this was the one thing I can control. And even though I can't see it in the mirror, I can feel the cuts on my arm from my depression. All this stuff, and more, is the aftermath from dealing with them.

This was one of the times when I just couldn't take it anymore. I reached into the front pocket of my backpack and pulled out the bottle of my anti-depressant pills. I held them in my hand for what felt like forever. I was about to open them and take a few to end my suffering but just then someone came out of one of the stalls.

"I wouldn't do that if I was you." I looked up from the pill bottle to see the reflection of a girl leaning on the stall. She was wearing black glasses, with her slightly curled hair in a low ponytail, topped with a black beanie that had the word 'WHATEVER' stitched in white. She wore black skinny jeans, brown boots, a tank top that said 'IN MEMORY OF MY SOCIAL LIFE', and a faded yellow and black flannel. But what really caught my eye was her necklace, a brilliant white gold 'M' hanging on a delicate silver chain.

"Are you paying attention? I said I wouldn't do that if I was you," she repeated as she could see I had zoned out.

"Why do you care what I do?" I uttered under my breath, tears starting up again.

She walked up to me and just stood there for a minute, looking at me then the bottle then back at me. Then her eyes landed on the bottle, and she took it out of my hand and put it back in the pocket I took it out of. Just as I start to cry again the second bell sounds meaning we are now officially late to class.

"Come on, let's go get passes."

Once we get our passes we head our separate ways, but not before I ask what her name is.

"Monique Warek," she says. She walks to class so casually, as if she doesn't have a care in the world.