4

We were on our way to the original owner's home, and were thinking of questions we should ask her when the skull jar said something really important.

"The source isn't in the coffee shop."

"What? How is it not in the shop? That's where the murder happened!" I replied.

"Is it, Lucy? Think about this. If she was homeless, why would her source be in a coffee shop? Also, that camp you found near the dumpsters? What if the source was there?"

"Woah, a lot of information in a very short time. A little bit of a better explanation would be nice." I pushed.

"And FYI, Lockwood sings about a tallish brunette psychic all the time in his sleep, and it gets quite annoying so could you like, never leave me downstairs at night again? He isn't a good singer. You know, I could wager out a performance of his songs for a brief rendezvous outside of this jar..." The skull teases.

"I don't care about what Lockwood does in his free time! Tell me more about the source you dim-witted ghost!" I cry out Exasperatedly.

But apparently, the skull was done talking.

"Luce. Did you seriously bring that damn skull with you?" George groans. "I thought we were done bringing it to random places."

"What if we were about to be attacked by a random ghost again! This thing has saved our asses so many times!" I cry in my defense.

"Thing? I'm glad to inform you that-"

"Shut the hell up." I interrupt.

"That's it! You need an intervention!" George adds.

..............

"Hi, my name is Anthony Lockwood, and these are my employees, George Cubbins and Lucy Carlyle. We're here to talk to Mrs. Hill?"

"Umm... that would be me. is something wrong?" the old woman at the door says.

She is about 60 years of age, and has curly blonde hair let down loose and fluffy. She also has a pair of reading glasses with purple frames hooked on the front of her shirt.

"Actually, yes." Lockwood proceeds.  "Two nights ago, we were in a coffee shop by the name of Lux's Lovelies, which, if I'm correct, you founded and own, leaving it under management of Jennifer Hill, your daughter in law?"

"Yes..."

"Well, we were in your shop when Jennifer ran out of the kitchen and out the front door, leaving the three of us unprepared and surprised with a malevolent, type 2 ghost." I add-in for Lockwood.

"Oh Lord. Are you here for legal reasons? My store hasn't been doing well since Jennifer took over, and quite frankly, I don't have the money." Lux replies nervously.

"Oh, no worries ma'am! We're just here to ask you a few questions and then we'll be on our way! Nothing spent but your time." Lockwood says charmingly, flashing a large reassuring smile.

"Ok then! Come on in. I just got cookies out of the oven, so they'll be nice and warm for you three!" Lux throws out while opening the door for us.

"Yum!" I hear George mutter excitedly.

................

"So there was an outpour of homeless people after they realized that you would provide them with water bottles and PB and J sandwiches?" George cleared up.

"Yup! they were all very nice people." Lux says.

"Alright then Lux! We thank you for your time, and we'll follow up with you when we solve this case." Lockwood finishes with a smile.

After we were on the train back to Portland Row, we summed up what we learned.

"So basically, there were a bunch of homeless people back when Lux ran the store, the shop has been losing money after Jennifer started running it even though I've seen lines come from the store, and Jennifer doesn't care to help people." George says, suspicious about our learnings.

"Obviously Jennifer is our main suspect, but what about her husband? From what Lux says she doesn't even think he's a good person, and he's her son!" I add. "And another thing, the skull says that the source isn't in the shop, and I was wondering if we could go back there tonight to figure out an idea of what it could be."

By this time, we had gotten home and George had ditched us to go take a nap or eat, so it was just me and Lockwood.

Lockwood then stopped short, just after my last sentence, and turned and put his hand on my shoulders, an exasperated look In his eye.

"No! Luce, do you not understand that I don't want you hurt? I know your games. You would do something stupid, and listen to the jar like an idiot. I don't trust that thing, it gives me a bad feeling." Lockwood says.

"What? This damn ghost is the only reason we're successful! I would be dead if it wasn't for the skull!" I cry out. He thinks I'm an idiot?

"Luce, we all know my feelings about that ghost. It urges you to step out of the chains and talk to dangerous apparitions! I don't think we should even still have it!"

"No! the jar doesn't make me do dangerous stuff, that's all on me. Don't talk about things you don't understand, Lockwood."

At my words Lockwood scoffs, and turns to walk back into the house. Why is being so defensive?

"Whatever, sweetheart, you think what you want to think. In the end, you are my employee, and you listen to me or get fired." he throws over his shoulder.

"Damn. pretty Boy's in a mood." The skull mocks.

"Oh shut it. You're part of the reason we're arguing."

"Hey don't bring me into this. All you do is listen to me. Not everything is my fault."

I scoff at his words.

"You're an ass hat."