Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"Let me mark you," Hayden piped up, flopping on the couch right next to me as I got my boots tied on properly.

"What?" I was overly befuddled. Even though it has been weeks with him, I didn't know whether I was ready to be mated—let alone marked, bearing his mark. "As appealing as that sounds, I would rather my marking be special."

"I thought consent was sexy?" He joked, throwing his arm on the back of the chair, inches from touching my shoulders.

"Wouldn't exactly call that consent." I shrugged, giving him a side-eye. It was hardly him asking me, more like demanding. "We definitely haven't got to that level yet."

"Yet," Hayden winked at me, which I rolled my eyes at. "I ask so we could build our strength up for the fight tonight, you know how powerful a mate's mark can be."

"What about Natalia?" Hayden tilted his head at me.

"I'm sorry, have you seen her around recently?" He had a point, I hadn't seen Natalia in a hot minute. Ever since Hayden had put her in her point in Jared's office she hasn't tried popping her head out to cause any more trouble.

"She clearly meant something to you if you even let her get so close that she'd call herself your Luna. Hayden groaned, letting his head fall back on the couch.

"I told you, she was there for the company."

"Company?" I raised my brow at the man beside me as he spoke, I didn't know someone with such a smooth voice could talk so much shit.

Hayden sighed. "My father wouldn't let me be Alpha without a Luna, you remember how strict he was about those things." I did remember the way the old Alpha—Hayden's father—used to be. He was the only one that didn't blame me for my parents' death, it wouldn't have been what a true Alpha would do.

He was very strict on Hayden, I remember overhearing what he would say to Lane when we were young—him ranting to my big brother about his overbearing father.

"So you just led Natalia on, just to gain a high position in your pack?" Hayden looked at me shocked.

"No, I—"

"So you do have feelings for Natalia and you're just lying to my face?"

"Ree—"

"You need to make a decision fast because I'm not waiting for you to make a decision whether or not you like Natalia or if you like me. You made a choice years ago, it's time for you to make right with it. You made your bed, you choose whether you lay in it or not."

Hayden was silent for a moment and I let out a light huff as I laid back on the couch, my attention on the black screen in front of me. I was still waiting for the sun to set, only moments from now.

"Shut up,"

My head snapped to Hayden, a tired look in his eyes as I raised a brow at his approach. "Excuse me? Think I must be hard at hearing, come again?" I pressed him to repeat himself and he sat forward, turning his body to the side to face me completely.

"Shut the hell up." He repeated, causing my eyes to widen. "Why won't you understand that I only harbour feelings for you?" He asked me. He looked up, and I bit my lip so hard not to gasp. His eyes held angry unshed tears.

"The past-"

"Is the past! Please, Reese! Give us a chance!" He begged for me. I felt like crying.

The fearless warrior, Reese Ford, felt like bursting into tears at the sight of this show of affection.

"Hayden," I croaked out, holding in the sobs that wanted to surface. "It hurts."

Hayden instantly started caressing his fingers softly along my cheeks. " Let me take the pain away. Let me in..." He pressed his lips on my forehead very gently. I couldn't help but nod.

Hayden held me in his arms, as I softly let out small sobs. When I calmed down from my random outburst of tears, I pulled away and faced Hayden.

"Mark me," My voice was barely a whisper, and I knew I had finally let go.

"W-What?" He stuttered. He held me tight in his grip, searching my eyes for a sign of tease.

"You said it'll make us stronger. Mark me."

Hayden smiled at me softly, before leaning in. I hadn't thought of Hayden kissing me as we still haven't had our first kiss.

His lips lightly grazed mine, as if he was teasing, so I lightly growled at me. I wasn't having it.

I pressed my lips harder to his, letting out a light moan. Hayden's grip tightened at the sound and he gently nibbled my bottom lip.

He pulled away from my lips, only to have he attach to my neck, making me let out a breathy moan.

He kissed lightly on the spot where he would mark me, before lightly sucking on it. I let out a moan, calling his name out making him growl in approval.

I felt his canines extending, feeling them brush against my skin. Finally, he bit down my neck. I bit my lip harshly, trying very hard not to let out a scream. It soon became very pleasant

His canines suck back to normal as he licked the wound, making me let out another breathy moan.

Hayden trailed his kisses from my newly bitten mark to my jaw to my chin and to my lips.

"Mine." He growled, before kissing me gently, quick to press harder and he fought for dominance.

Before our kiss could get any further, Jared had unexpectedly walked through the room, his essence oozing with dominance and authority.

"Oh go—Reese!" He called out, causing myself to quickly pull away from Hayden, my face red with embarrassment. Of course, Jared would be the one to catch me in the act. "Wrong place, wrong time people." I laughed at his reaction, while Hayden buried his face in my neck as he softly chuckled. He kissed my mark lightly, causing both my wolf and I to shiver in delight.

"It's sunset, let's go."