CHAPTER TWO

( TWO : WE'RE BACK, BITCHES! )

IT WAS DARK, and very cold.

    Her eyelids fluttered and opened and that took care of the darkness. As for the cold...she was bone-cold, freezing, chilled to the marrow. And no wonder; she was floating through space.

    "Son of a bitch."

She squeezed her eyes shut.

    The world around her spun, shaking and vibrating, making her feel like her brain was rattling around the inside of her head. A sudden lurch would have probably thrown her around if she didn't feel like she'd been nailed to whatever torturously uncomfortable chair she had the displeasure of sitting on.

    She was uncomfortable. Very, very uncomfortable. Her neck was bent forward at an awkward angle, chin resting on her chest. The muscles at the back of her neck screamed in protest at what she assumed was a position she'd been in for a long time.

    Elissa couldn't move. It felt as if she were being constricted, something coiling tightly around her chest, keeping her from taking a full breath. Her shoulder blades dug painfully into the hard surface behind her. Wrapping her hands around the straps, she tugged and tugged to no avail. The thick metal bracelet around her right wrist caught her eye. She immediately tried twisting the thing off, but succeeded only in ripping her skin open.

    She couldn't concentrate. There were loud noises all around her: voices, metal creaking, crackling and she wasn't sure what else. She couldn't focus. She had no idea what was happening to her, but she knew that she wanted it to stop. Her heartbeat steadily increasing in tempo, pounding harshly behind her ribs as she tried to control her nerves. From what she could hear, she was close to hyperventilating. She somehow knew she was close, but had never actually hyperventilated before in her life. Her breaths coming out in nearly short shallow gasps. She needed to get out, now, before it got any worse.

    Wetness slid down her face from her hairline, and she felt her heart leap, eyes snapping open. Hastily raising a hand she wiped her face, quickly looking at it. It was only sweat. There was no blood.

    I'm okay. Come on Elissa, get a grip.

    Taking a steady breath, she felt her nerves calm, her pulse slowing returning to normal. Where the hell was she? She tried to think back to the last thing she remembered. She had been talking to Jupiter and...her father? The thought shot a strike of pain through her forehead and she winced, eyes clenching shut.

    "Son of a bitch." She gasped out again. Even thinking made her head hurt.

    A distinctly masculine snort of amusement came from somewhere beside her. "You know, that's the second time you've said that." He pointed out.