26. disappearing

"Jace I think something is wrong

"Jace I think something is wrong." I said into the phone frantically walking in circles. I did that a lot when I was nervous.

"Why Scarlett, what happened?" Jace asked his voice full of concern.

"I don't know! But I need to talk to Madison."

"Breathe, you have to tell me what happened." He stated.

"Zoey and I were walking to our next class, when this girl pulled me aside. I didn't recognize her at first, but she stated talking about how sorry she was and how she had to follow Madison or else someone would kill her."

"Who was she?" Jace asked, "Do you know now?"

"Spencer Collins, one of Madison's old friends." I answered.

Jace let out a loud sigh though the phone. "Do you know who she was talking about?"

"No," I said, "but I have a feeling it has something to do with Adam and Adam is never good news."

---

"Scarlett are you okay?" Leo asked his voice genuine.

I smiled at him and nodded. "Yeah I'm fine, why?"

"Nothing." he said with a shrug. "I'm worried about you."

I smiled and gave him a tight hug. "You don't have to be."

I came to Jace's house to talk to Maddie about Spencer. She said that Spencer was crazy and I shouldn't worry about her, but something was off. My mind was screaming at me to watch out so, I decided to stay calm and a few moments later I decided to call everyone over to Jace's house. He said that would be the best place to meet.

"Have any of you seen Katie?" Jace asked casually. We all shook our head no. And his eyes grew wide. "None of you guys have seen her come home from Nat's house?"

"Dude, she was suppose to come home about an hour ago." Blake said standing up from the chair that he was previously sitting on.

"Where the hell is she Blake?" Jace asked his face red with anger.

"Woah man, I don't know you were suppose to watch out for her when she gets home from Natalie's." Blake said holding his hands up defensively. 

"Let's calm down. How about one of you actually call Natalie's mother?" I suggest.

Jace nodded, grabbed his phone and dialled Natalie's mothers number. "She's not answering." He stated a few moments later.

"Okay, so we should drive over there. Maybe Katie wanted to stay later. I'm sure everything is fine." Cassie said calming everyone down with her soft voice. Everyone agreed with Cassie, and we all frantically ran to our cars.

"Jace! I'll come with you." I said practically jumping into his car before he could give me a answer.

Jace said that it would be a ten minute drive. For the most part we were silent. But it was comfortable silence it wasn't awkward. "I still remember the first day we met." Jace said randomly.

"You remember that?" I asked.

He nodded and I sighed as I ran my hands over the length of my face. "Ugh, that was so embarrassing. Please just forget about it."

"You don't have to be embarrassed." Jace said with a smile.

"Yes I do!" I stated and Jace let out a little chuckle. "I was a complete mess."

"You were fine Scarlett."  He said seriously whilst his eyebrows creased.

"I really care about you Jace." I said. A few moments later the reality sunk in. I gasped at my sudden words and put a hand over my mouth to stop any other noises of embarrassment. My face turned bight red and I turned to him anxiously waiting for his response.

"I really care about you too Scarlett." he said calmly. Why was he always so calm?

"Wait, what?" My heart skipped a beat. I looked at Jace and he gave me a reassuring smile. "Okay." I smiled at him back. I couldn't believe that I had just said that. I need to watch what I say more often. "I'm sure Katie's fine. This is probably all a misunderstanding." I tried to change the subject because I knew right now wasn't the time to dig up my embarrassing past. Deep down I knew he knew it and I laughed at the thought.

"Yeah," Jace said while nodding his head. "She's probably still at Nat's. I mean, where else would she be?" Jace asked tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. I could tell he was anxious to get to Natalie's house.

I looked over at him and smiled. "Jace honestly don't worry I know she's fine." I wanted to be supportive. He looked over at me again and smiled.

Once we got there Jace jumped out of the car and ran to Natalie's house. Blake followed closely behind him. Jace rang the door bell to the large red bricked house. A middle aged woman opened the door. She had dark brown hair and hazel eyes. She was confused at first but then she smiled. "Hello Jace." She said, "Oh and you too Blake. How can I help you guys?"

"We came to get Katie." Blake said slowly.

Her smile quickly dropped. "Isn't she with you?" she asked politely.

"No she isn't." Jace said bluntly.

"Jace it's okay." I warned hoping to calm him down.

"Natalie said she saw Katie getting into a car. That looked like yours. She assumed it was. . ." the woman paused gasping at her words.

"Amy, can we talk to Nat?" Blake asked.

Amy shook her head sadly. "I'm sorry she's not here. She's with her dad. I'm so sorry, I knew I should have called you guys." Amy apologized.

Jace was silent and his face was turning red. Blake on the other hand was much calmer. "It's fine Amy, thank you she's okay. She probably just went with my dad." Blake said. Amy smiled sadly one more time before closing the door.

"Jace I'm so sorry it's all my fault." I said holding back tears that threatened to pour out.

"We need to call the police right now." Cassie said grabbing her phone from her pocket. "Blake call your dad."

"Why is this your fault Scar?" Leo asked curiosity all over his face.

How was I going to explain this to everyone? How was I suppose to tell Jace and Blake their sister was gone because of me? I remember from earlier today. That's why Spencer came up to me. She wanted to warn me. About Adam and what he would do.