Chapter Five

*Not Edited*

Chapter Five 

As soon as I uttered those words, his smile dropped and he narrowed his eyes.

 “What?”

 “I’m pregnant.” My confidence was decreasing by the second, I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans and rubbed them together nervously.

 He didn’t say anything for a minute as his eyes pierced into mine. I resisted the urge to look away from his burning gaze.

 “We were only together for one night. Are you sure it’s mine?” He questioned as his eyes never left mine.

 I nodded. “You’re the only person I’ve been with for the last three months.”

He shook his head. “I can’t be the father.”

I felt my heart sink when he said that. He didn’t believe me, I should have known he wouldn’t believe me. He probably thought I got pregnant by someone else and was trying to pin this on him. 

“But you are and I just thought I should let you know.” I whispered looking away from him. I wanted to leave, it was a bad idea telling him. 

Without looking his way, I pulled out my wallet from my bag and put some money on the table for my hot chocolate. I draped my jacket over my arm and turned back to look at him. He was watching me with a blank look as he took a sip from his coffee. 

“Look.” I started to say feeling humiliated and a little angry. “I don’t want anything from you okay? The only reason I told you is because I thought you deserved to know. Believe what you want.”

He didn’t respond as he continued to look at me, his eyes wandering from my face to my stomach. He inhaled slightly and then stiffened, his eyes narrowing into slits. He inhaled again deeply as if he was sniffing something before his eyes widened. 

I was just about to ask if he was okay when the cup he was holding smashed in his palm, spilling the coffee over the table. I gasped in horror as he stood up, his eyes that looked more black than hazel glared into mine.

Feeling slightly alarmed, I took a few steps away from the booth. The café became eerily quiet as I felt all eyes looking in my direction.

I breathed deeply to keep myself from panicking. “ Er well, I got to go now. So bye.” I said quickly before running past him and out of the café.

I searched through my bag frantically for the keys as I jogged to the car, smiling triumphantly as I found it. I quickly unlocked the door, got in and locked it again. I put my hand over my racing heart, trying my best to calm it down.

I looked over to the café as I started the engine. I needed to get out of here quickly. I glanced again at the café and squeaked in alarm when I saw Gabriel standing next to the entrance, looking at me.

I ripped my eyes away from him and quickly began to drive away. I was going over the speed limit but I didn’t care, all I wanted to do was go home.

This was a bad idea, he didn’t believe me and then he smashed a cup with his bare hand. He didn’t even flinch or cry out in pain. It was as if he didn’t even notice. He was clearly unstable and there’s no way he’s coming anywhere near me or the baby.

I ran out the car and into my house, slamming the door behind me. I leaned against the door and let out a deep sigh. What should I do now?

“You’re back early, did you tell him?” Leah’s voice called out from the living room making me snap my eyes open.