CHAPTER 4

"What's wrong, Dan? You seem…I don't know…agitated," Tiana asked over the computer screen, noticing Dan's strange behavior the following night.

"What are you talking about? I'm doing just fine!" Dan retorted, crossing his arms over his chest with a stubborn expression plastered on his face.

"Come on, what is it? I know you, something's up," she continued to push the subject.

"I said I'm fine!" He snapped at her. "Why don't you mind your own business?!"

"Hey, no need to yell at me! I'm just trying to help," Taina defended herself.

"Fine, you want to know what happened? I threw Drago in the river!"

"What?!" Tiana exclaimed, her jaw dropping to the ground. "How could you be so stupid?! He was your partner!" 

"Don't call me stupid! What do you know anyway?!"

"Guys, please don't fight," Alice tried to reason.

"A lot more than you do, apparently! How could you just betray Drago like that?!" Tiana yelled, ignoring Alice.

"I didn't betray him! He was the one being stubborn!" Dan defended.

"Yeah, like you're being right now!"

"That's it! I'm sick of you always making me seem like the bad guy when you're just sit and watch when we're working our butts of to defeat Masquerade! When was the last time you've even battled, huh?! You're useless!"

"Dan!" Runo scolded but it was too late, the damage had been done. Everyone watched as Tiana fought off the tears that glazed over her eyes, biting her lover lip while looking away from the screen.

"Fine, if that's the way you feel, I won't bother you again."

With that, Tiana's chat box disappeared from everyone's screens, leaving behind shocked expression and a fuming Dan.

"Tiana, I'm sure he did not mean it. He's just upset about Drago," Nemr tried to reassure her but the tears still managed to fall.

"He wouldn't have said it if he didn’t mean it."

°°°

The next morning, Tiana had to force herself out of bed to get ready, not really having the will or strength for the day at school. Dan's words had hurt yesterday and they had been the thing that caused her to cry herself to sleep.

She didn’t know why it had hurt so much to hear Dan say those things. True, she hadn't battled in a while but that was only because her mother had taken her Bakugan. She knew Dan didn't know it but that didn't give him the right to say those things, even if he was mad.

Tiana did her best to cover up the bags under her eyes but gave up after the third try. It was no use to try and hide it and even when she forced a smile on her face, she still looked miserable. 

She already knew Runo was going to have a thing or two to say to Dan when she saw her friend in this state but she was hoping that she could just avoid her best friend for the day.

When she was ready, Tiana grabbed her bag and placed Nemr in her pocket. She opened her bedroom door but stopped when she was met with a familiar box on the floor in front of her, a small note attached to it. Tiana picked up the note and read it.

"Thought you might want these back. 
I had to head out early today but I hope you appreciate it.
Have a good day at school, honey!

Love Mom
xoxox"

Okay, now I'm really worried…

Tiana crumbled up the paper and picked up the box, opening it to see all her Haos Bakugan still in perfect condition.