Coxeter Groups

Coxeter groups play a central role in the understanding of four-dimensional symmetries.

Art nodded in agreement. The paper he was reading discussed the Coxeter groups' impact on four-dimensional geometry. The author gave an outline of the groups' numerous applications. On a normal day, this topic would have had the power to hold Art's attention. It would have securely tied his thoughts to his work.

But today his mind rejected all academic fetters and kept wandering, returning to the nightmare that had haunted him last night—a dream where hands were strangling a wrinkled neck.

His gaze went to the scenery outside his office window, seeking out the normalcy at display there. The campus grounds were a neatly tended park, with trimmed bushes, stone walkways, and green lawns. A rectangular pond bordered the building of his department. Two ducks were cruising its waters. Their tiny heads moved back and forth in synchronicity with their paddling feet—like wind-up toys. The waves in their wakes displayed a complex yet regular interference pattern of ripples.

He sighed and got up. It was 2:30 in the afternoon. Monday was his laundry day. He would have to head home early, hunt down all dirty pieces of clothing in his apartment, and feed them to the behemoth of a machine in the laundry room.

His thoughts of sanitation were interrupted by the chirping noise of his mobile phone. The caller's number wasn't familiar.

He accepted the call. "Yes?"

"This is Betty Bossi from the municipal police. Am I talking to Mr. Sharpe?"

"Yes, that's me." Art remembered the name and the freckled face that came with it—she was the ponytailed police officer, Inspector Savage's assistant, or whatever.

"I'm so sorry to disturb you. But we have a search warrant for the apartments at Dumstreet 9. We also have to check out yours. It's just a routine investigation, you see." Her voice was devoid of emotion, professional.

"So," she continued, "I wanted to ask if you're at home tonight."

"Yes, I'll be there." He looked forward to seeing her freckles again. "When do you want to come?"

"Our people will be in the house all day. But I'll be there between six and eight p.m."

Art nodded. "Yeah, that's no problem. I have to wash my laundry today, so I'll be around anyway."

"Excellent. I do appreciate your cooperation. I'll see you then. Thanks."

"You're welcome. See you tonight." Art smiled at his phone.

"Yeah. Bye."

His own bye collided with the sound of her disconnecting the line.

He would have to clean up his apartment before Bossi arrived.

Arrived to search my apartment.

A feeling of unease was forming in his stomach, creeping up his spine, lingering in his throat, and finally reaching his mind. He had nothing to hide, yet the thought of them going through his stuff was disturbing.

 He had nothing to hide, yet the thought of them going through his stuff was disturbing