Defiance - Part 2

The world looked different through Defiance.

They were ridiculously expensive, even after Gigi giving him a 5% discount for being a friend of Jake's and, on top of that, a free pouch for them as a gift to a loyal customer.

But the world did really look different through Defiance. The snow glowed and sparkled instead of being a featureless, blinding white matter. People's faces, including Art's—in the mirror—had a healthy tan. The sky assumed a sapphire blue tinge with a promise of a friendly universe waiting for you just beyond it, and the crisp mountains positively called him.

They ascended the village's main street. It was framed on both sides by shops, restaurants, and hotels, their wooden walls a warm brown. The air carried the scents of sun lotion and food and the sound of traditional Tavetian music.

Something glittered in the windows of one of the shops lining the street. Art stopped and ogled the display. It held a forest of polished glass columns, each one of them supporting a single wristwatch. Gold, silver, steel, titanium, and precious stone—they all vied for his attention. Some of the timekeepers were tiny and would look priceless on Monica's slender, tanned wrists. Others were solid metal contraptions, heavy enough to slay armies with. 

A brief glance at the trailing zeroes on the price tags made Art turn away, though. Defiance was cheap, in comparison.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" asked Rashid.

"Too expensive, have you seen their prices?" Art gestured at the shop's windows.

"I was talking about the place in general," Rashid said and waved at the street instead.

Art nodded. "True, and it's so peaceful."

"Cars are banned from the village," said Jake, who was walking on Rashid's other side.

A small van crossed the street before them, honking in irritation at a group of slow-moving pedestrians.

"Well... most of them." Jake shrugged. "Some hotels and businesses are allowed to use motor vehicles for transporting guests and for deliveries. But... talking about hotels, we can go that way, it's a shortcut." He turned left into a narrow uphill alley.

The ascent was steep. Adriana slipped on the snow and ice covering the ground, but Jake caught her. She clasped his arm.

Art's winter boots had perfect traction.

When they emerged on a small plateau above the village, Jake stopped and waited for all of his neighbors to catch up

When they emerged on a small plateau above the village, Jake stopped and waited for all of his neighbors to catch up. He was smiling.

The plateau formed a terrace dominated by a wide, three-storied building. Its façade was covered with a myriad of small, yellow-painted wood shingles. A driveway entered from the right side and ended at a generous portico. Some of the shingles above it were dyed in dark red to form writing.

Le Bijou

Scaffolding enclosed the building's right wing.

"This is it, the Bijou," said Jake.

"It's huge." Art couldn't help his words. The place was much larger than he had expected.

Jake nodded. "Yes, the Bijou is one of the largest hotels in the village. It's been closed for a couple of years now, but we should be able to open it for business next fall. Come, I'll show you the foyer, it's impressive."

He made for the entrance. The rest of the tenants followed.

The hotel's lobby was a cavernous hall

The hotel's lobby was a cavernous hall. The shutters were closed, and the only illumination came through the doors that Jake had left standing open.

Once Art took off his Defiance glasses, he was able to discern details.

The ceiling was high above their heads, and the frozen waterfalls of three ship-sized chandeliers were sparkling where the light caressed them. Most of the furniture was draped, hidden and dormant under plastic sheets, only the reception desk was exposed. Jake strode behind it and bowed at them, a receptionist welcoming royal guests. In the shade, his face seemed even darker than usual, only the white of his eyes shone as if with a light of their own.

"Isn't this beautiful?" He exposed teeth matching the color and luminescence of his orbs.

"Gorgeous." Adriana made a slow 360° turn.

The Meiers strolled off and started to peek under the covers hiding the furniture.

Art looked around. The room did have grandeur, a wasteful early nineteen hundreds luxury. He visualized the new and old rich who would walk its deep, purple carpets or sit in soft, sensual leather chairs, with bellboys and other mysterious staff scurrying to do their bidding.

"The renovations are in full swing now. We only make minimal changes to the rooms, the lobby, and the dining room, but we have to paint the façade, and we are adding a brand new spa area on the top floor."

Art nodded, intrigued. "I'd love to spend a few days in a place like this, in spring or fall. Stroll the mountains at daytime, and then return, enjoy the spa, and have a fine dinner."

"You're my man." Jake beamed at him.

Art remembered why he was here. He looked once more up at the chandeliers. Light, refracted from their glass crystals, cast colorful mini-rainbows onto the walls. "Must have cost a fortune."

Jake shrugged. "I've got some of it from my aunt, last year, and some more from the bank. In fact, the bank's the real owner." The smile of a few moments ago was gone.

"And your wife? Didn't you say she bought the place with you?"

"My ex-wife, you mean?" Jake hesitated. "Or almost ex-wife? Anyway, I'll pay her back now."

With what kind of money?

The question was on Art's lips, but he refrained from uttering it. If the man had been after Knooch's secret wealth, he wouldn't volunteer such information.

Jake shook his head. "But we shouldn't talk about business on a beautiful day like this. Let's put on these snowshoes and get going."