Chapter 1

Nichole sat in the chair by the window of the cafe. She had her headphones over her ears listening to her music. She had a notebook, laptop, and a book in front of her on the table.

She normal came in here to do her homework because it was much quieter than her house. She could watch people walk in and out, getting pastries and coffee.

She had stopped working and was looking at the door, waiting for someone who came in all the time. The girl sat beside Nichole all the time when she got her coffee. She just hasn't shown up.

When the red hair girl sat down at the table with a 'thud' it scared Nichole. "Heyyy. Missed me?" She nodded. "Good. Sorry, I'm late. My friends wouldn't let me leave." Nichole waved her hands at her.

She grabbed her notebook and wrote in it. "Ashlie right?" "Yep. And you're Nichole." Nichole nodded. Ashlie reached over and grabbed a chocolate chip cookie from Nichole's plate and bit into it. "Pretty good choice." She mumbled while eating the cookie. Nichole smiled at Ashlie, showing she said Thanks. "So are you gonna continue teaching me the flying hand thingy?" Nichole silently snickered at Ashlie. "Yes." She signed and nodded her head. "I got that one down."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The cafe was closing down for the night and Ashlie was standing outside with Nichole. "Thanks again Nichole." "No problem." Ashlie smiled. Nichole pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to Ashlie. "Oh. Not tonight. Got to get another video done but you can text me when you want, k?" Nichole nodded her head. "Bye." Nichole waved back at Ashlie as she turned around and the went their separate ways.

A few minutes later, Nichole made it to her house. She walked in and heard her mom and brother in the kitchen cooking. "Hey, Cole." Nichole waved at her dad as she made her way upstairs. She loved her family but she didn't want to talk right now. She had to plan for her 18th birthday. Her brother was 23 years old and still lived in the house with her parents. She understands why he stayed but she had other plans.

She sat down at her desk in her room after setting her backpack down and turned on her computer. It hummed to life and showed the picture of her and Nathan.  She logged on and open her browser. She put her notebook down beside her keyboard and open it to her last page she was on. Her browser was still loading so she got up and plugged in her phone.

"Oh hey, Nichole." She turned around and looked at her Mom. "Yeah?" "Honey...you understand that you are adopted right?" Nichole frowned and nodded. "Well, I...I just wanted to make sure you knew sweetie." Nichole hugged her mom. As soon as she finished she signed. "I don't care if I'm adopted or not. You are my mom. Chris is my dad. And Nathan is my brother." She smiled. "I got to go finish making dinner." Her mom kissed her forehead and went back downstairs.

Nichole sat back down at her desk and looked at the screen of her computer.

'Why did mom ask me that?'