Chapter Two

Media: Cadence

Music: World of Dreams by Future World Music

*****

CHAPTER TWO

The first thing Cadence smelled upon reaching home was the faint fragrance of carrot and ginger soup.

Away from the ostentatious display of nobility wealth, her old cottage was a solace. No one noticed the shabby roof, the numerous shaky runes carved by a child into the front door, or the close to collapsing window panes, because no one ventured this deep into the forest. The forest was rumored to be filled with man-eating monsters with teeth as long as Cadence's calf, but she had never seen one in all the time she lived there.

She drew the key from her pocket and unlocked the front door.

"Shoes off." Her brother's voice floated from the kitchen. "I just wiped the floor."

Cadence kicked off her snow-coated shoes, peeled away her cloak and hung it on the stand. The wooden floorboards creaked as she made her way toward the fireplace, and she plonked her bundle onto the table.

The heat from the hearthstone was heavenly. Cadence massaged her stiff elbows, then moved her fingers to her neck. She was so exhausted, she could close her eyes and fall asleep at the hearth right away.

"Hey, Cady," her brother called. "Supper is almost done."

Cadence stretched her back. "Alright, I'm coming."

Her brother was in the kitchen with his back to her, dark hair bouncing as he stirred the soup with fervent enthusiasm.

Upon seeing Cadence, Cole raised the spoon in a hearty wave. "How was work?"

A heavy sigh escaped her lips. "Horrible, as usual. Khazaria is an utter myiak, and the cold didn't help either."

"We should just become pirates," Cole suggested. "Never ending flow of riches and ale, the good ol' sea life."

"The sea is disgusting."

Her brother tutted. "It's not my fault you believed that the sea is made up of whale tears."

"I was five! I can't believe I actually fell for your stupid tales for so long."

Her brother chuckled. "You weren't the brightest. Get the bowls. Supper is almost ready."

"How's Papa?" Clay bowls clinked as Cadence set them onto the table.

"He's been hacking up quite a cough this week, but if we can accumulate the money to pay for a witch-doctor in time, he'll be fine."