Chapter Fourteen

Media: In case anyone was wondering what a kubah looks like.

Music of the chapter: Red Clouds, Odyssey

She saw her father.

Cadence really did. He had stood there in front of her, his tired face impassive. She could still see the creases and wrinkles, the laughter lines around his eyes.

He was standing, on his own feet, without any support. It was weird, seeing her father without the wheelchair. Somehow, after five years of taking care of her bedridden father, it was the wheelchair-bound image that had burned a mark in her mind, not the father who still had freedom of his own actions.

Her father walked toward her, his eyes brimming with tears. Cadence ran, diving right into his bosom and hugged him right.

"I'm so sorry, Papa." She buried her face into his shoulder, unable to hold back the storm of tears. "I should never have trusted the Polong."

"No, child," her father said. "I am sorry."

Cadence stared into her father's eyes, watching the tears swirl and fall. "What are you talking about? I killed you, Papa. I killed hundreds of others in the Orelik mansion, and I am not even sure if there were any survivors. I'm a murderer."

"There is a greater picture than you and the Polong, shezinka. I wish I could tell you everything, but it is not up to me to tell you your future. Whatever happens, I want you to know that I'm sorry, and I love you."

"Wait!" Cadence cried out. "What do you mean?"

Her father kissed her on the forehead. "Tell your brother, I love him too."

Just like that, he faded into nothing, his warm hands becoming empty air in Cadence's.

Cadence opened her eyes, and a single tear rolled down her cheek.

"Cadence!" Ales was shaking her. "For Orishas' sake, wake the hell up."

The pain in her stomach had dropped into a dull simmer. Groaning, she opened her eyes to find Ales' green ones glaring back at hers. She scabbarded backwards, cowering from the urgent concern and anger in his eyes.

"What were you thinking? You could have gotten yourself killed if I hadn't turned up. Why were you consorting with a Walker Hunter?"

"A what?" Her world was still spinning. Arik and the others must had heard the commotion outside and were in hiding. She mustn't let Ales find out about the others, they would be penalized.

"Seriously, why are you out in the tavern at the middle of the night, masquerading as a Patrol, and without a formal permit? Are you crazy? Even if you didn't know the repercussions, surely you have considered the consequences!"

"I-I" Cadence gripped the silver-lined falcon mask tight against her chest. "I just wanted some fresh air, I can't stop thinking about my father and brother. I just wanted to know what it felt like to be powerful, to be Varya, what it felt like to be able to protect the people I love, and not let them die in vain."